1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick sounds bad in high registers

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Totsvon, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Totsvon

Totsvon

Jul 8, 2009
    Odda, Norway
    I have got a Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman. When I play notes from the 12th fret and up at the E and A strings, it sounds like you are playing two notes, and one of them is a little out of pitch. In other words it sounds horrible. Does anybody know if I can adjust the trussrod or something to make it go away?

2. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    Is this through a rig? Cause I've had this with a couple of cpu programs.

3. just raise the height of those strings a bit - sounds to me like those fatter strings are a bit low and not clearing the frets. You could loosen the truss rod a touch, but if it's just those two strings, I would raise them a bit. Warwick basses are SUPER adjustable.

4. Totsvon

Totsvon

Jul 8, 2009
    Odda, Norway
    I have pretty high action on the strings. I will try loosening the trussrod. Thanks for answers!

5. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Sounds like a classic case of "Stratocaster Effect". Lower the pickups. The truss rod will have little or no effect above the 12th fret.

mech

6. no, if your action is already high, loosening the truss rod is only going to make it higher - so don't.

7. Totsvon

Totsvon

Jul 8, 2009
    Odda, Norway
    Hmmm. OK. I have tried lowering the pickups earlier. It helped on the G and D strings, but not on the other strings. Maybe I should take it to professionals? :)

8. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If it sounds like a chorus effect then it is the magnets in the pickups affecting the strings. Lower the pickups on the E/A string side.

Messing with the trussrod won't help if the pickups are too high. You could raise the strings to fix the problem, but it will make the instrument harder to play. Much better to fix the issue the correct way to begin with.

9. Taper wound strings? They will cause this if too much bare string projects past the bridge saddles.

10. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Very good point.

11. Sounds like an intonation problem.....have you adjusted the other strings to match the 12th fret harmonic and the fretted note on the twelfth as well?

Have you gotten the setup guides from the sticky on this forum for setup and followed them? (I'm a fan of the Jerzey Drozd one in particular.)