Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick & spector basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plantman, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Plantman

Plantman

Feb 5, 2001
    does anyone have any experience or opinons on spectors usa ns-4 or warwick thumb (neck thru) basses. i've played both and think they're both great. however can only afford one. getting a good deal used. any good or bad experiences and knowledge would be helpful. thanks.
    plantman

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You have to buy the one you liked most. Alot of people that I know, including myself, like one way better then the other. It's a love/hate thing.

Me personally, I like Spectors. The USA basses are great & I have an NS-2 & It kills every Warwick that I've compared it to soundwise, feelwise etc.

Warwick's aren't bad basses, I just don't like em. :)

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    When I bought my Spector (US NS-4), I was actually in the market for a Warwick Thumb bass. I thought the Thumb was comfortable, light, and tight sounding. But, the shop I went in to no longer carried Warwick, saying they'd gone down the tubes and that they now carried Spector.

Disappointed, I picked up the Spector and immediately fell in love with the versatile fat tone and excellent construction. I decided immediately to buy it.

Yet still, I searched for long and hard for Warwicks until they started appearing in my local GC. Excited, and yet a little scared about what I might regret, I picked one up and jammed a few minutes. Then I picked up another, then a third. Suprisingly, none of them had that vibe that I originally fell in love with, none were as comfortable to play, none had that growl I so desired (and had since found in my Spector), and none piqued my interest.

If you can't tell, I'd never even heard of Spector when I bought mine. I didn't know that Warwick copied Spector: I always thought it to be the other way around.

Now I know better.:D

As always, though, YMMV.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Spector liscensed the body style to Warwick. It's funny, but I've noticed that whichever you play first, is the one you like. I played the Warwicks first, and I'm not too crazy about the Spectors.

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I play a Spector NS2000/5, and have access to lots of Warwicks. I find the width of the neck on the Spector much easier to work with than one of the Warwick 5 or 6 strings. I think I have to echo what has been said previously and say that you should play both (strapped up, don't try it out while sitting down!) and see at the end which one appeals more to you. Happy hunting!

6. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    i have a 4 string warwick thumb. it is the best bass i have ever owned. the tone and timbre is the most versatile and the most adjustable ive ever seen.

7. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i say warwick, because im in love with them.

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Couldn't comment about the US Spectors - but I haved 2 Czech ones, and almost don't see the need to ever try a US one (not that I can in Glasgow, I know of nowhere that stocks 'em)

Of the few Warwicks I've played, I can only say that they never did anything for me. They were the ones that were the Spector shape, with MEC pups, I couldn't find a sound I liked with them - they aways seemed harsh! Comfort wise they were OK, but I guess I'm a Spector man now!!!

9. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i've had a spector ns-2 and i have a thumb 5 neck through. i prefer the thumb(to a spector 5 string) only because i can set the string spacing wider(18mm). the 5 string spector is too narrow(16.5mm). if i was in the market for a 4 string it would be a usa spector. they have very similar sounds(emg and emg copies,mec), the difference being warwick has a 3 band eq. spector got stereotyped as a butt metal bass in the 80's and early 90's, but they are very versitle. so i guess if spector made a wider spacing 5, i'd pick spector instead of warwick.

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Well, the Neck is thinner on the Spector, but it's true the spacing is better on the Warwick's thicker neck. I just took a Warwick RockBass to try out for a month (oh the percs of working for a music store chain!) to "audition" it for the "position" of back up bass...if I like the feel of it, then I'll likely go ahead and purchase the Infinity model for lead bass and give up Spector...it's nice, but I'm finding them hard to find up here, and it's easier for me to get Warwicks and Warwick service. I'll keep y'all informed!