1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

warwick stage I, should I sell it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBastard, Mar 5, 2008.

1. So, being this a good place to share frustations I'll do just that if you don't mind.

I have a warwick streamer stage one 5 strings, it's a 2002 model. I bought it used on ebay and it was a good deal, the bass was in nearly mint shape (except for the nut which I replaced with the warwick brass one). It's a great bass and I love certain aspects of it like its playabilty and its looks, which in this case is very important because when I look at it I wanna play it. But I don't like the tone all that much and it's a major turn off. It's super bright and metalic, and very thin too(maple neck and body, wenge fingerboard...that explains a lot). You have to play it really well because it makes mistakes very noticeable. So I read a lot about pickups and preamps and stuff and got SD soapbars and a 3 way SD preamp for it. It did improve the tone, making it fatter and much less trebly...but lost punch. Also the B and G string sounded weaker for some reason so I had to go back to MEC pickups but kept the SD preamp. First of all, do you think replacing the brass nut with a bone nut would help minimize the metalic effect? Would it matter on a fretted note? :confused: There's a guy I know that makes pickups, been doing so for 20 years. He suggested that I change the electronics for passive....what do you think? I'll post some clips with the tone I have and a tone very similar but that doesn't sound so artificial,...I would settle for something closer to that

so this is me playing...pickup balance at 60/40 (bridge/neck) the preamp was with highs cut off completely, lows and mids flat

The tones are not that different, I know...but David's sound much warmer and fatter, specially on the upper register. It doesn't sound so trebly to me as well. So to put a final question to a long and probably pointless post: Do you think it's worth it to give the passive pickups a try or should I just give up, sell the thing and get a bass that doesn't turn me off as soon as I pluck the first notes? Thanks...and sorry for the whining...

2. SC bassboy2

SC bassboy2 Banned

Mar 5, 2008
    I have owned several Warwicks over the years, one of which was a 5 string SSI. It sounded the same as yours. Kinda treble heavy with a weak lowend. Good luck tweaking your electronics.

3. Hmm is it possible to make a fatter sound with the 3 way preamp? imean, bosst bass and mids?, cut highs?

4. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I don't really have any real advice for you, but I am sorry to hear that... I'm not really a big fan of Warwicks but this model one of the few that I LOVED... It's 1 of 2 or 3 models that I would actually want to own.

Great bass! Good luck with the electronics swap!

5. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    What string you using and what amp you using? I think the Streamer Stage 1 can dig out nice low end tones.

6. I'm using DR fat beams (the word fat caught my attention) 0.45 and I currently use just a sansamp DI live. At home I use a behringer bx3000t with a warwick cab. The tone is common to all amps I've tried with this bass though. I had a recording session a month ago and I plugged directly into an avalon preamp. There was lots of treble even then :meh: Well, I found out that the pickups my friend makes are really cheap...I'll give it a try, what the heck...it'll be the streamer's last chance. If I'm not pleased then I'll try to sell it.

7. Try flats.

8. See i have the opposite problem with my thumb i can get my lows sounding great but my highs are either too quiet or if i turn treble up i just get a really tacky trebly sound for my low notes and high, i use a 2007 warwick thumb nt 5 through a hartke 2500 with a 410tp cab and a dbx 166xl compressor. I've just been trying to find more fatter highs while keeping my lows the same. if anyone can help me out that would be awesome.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Maybe it would help you to go passive. Either that, or you could try tweaking the preamp to heap less gain on the treble output?

10. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Absolutely not.
    The brass nut has a slight tonal effect only when you play open strings.

Ever thought about Bartolini's?
    usually thery have a bit of treble roll-off which you may find suitable to your needs, and they have a great low-midrange growl too

11. I have though about bartolini but they have about 20000 different models I wouldn't know what to chose. I'm gonna take the bass tomorrow to my friend. I'll let you know the results. Tweaking the preamp helps a little but doesn't go too far, there's always a kind of artificial character to it. Flats is a good suggestion...what would you recommend? Any brand in particular?

12. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Hmm, If it were me, I would get tapewounds definitely.

Then get an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp since their bass is voiced so low. One little turn adds boom.

If you can figure out the dimensions of the pickup so we know what size it is, that would be helpful so we could look at replacements.

13. Change pre's/tweeter. I actually find having my bass boosted and my treble cut on my ass, then bossting the highs on my amp a TINY amount gives clear highs.