1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Star Bass II Pro Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4OnTheFloor, Jan 17, 2013.

1. I just received my Warwick Pro Series Star Bass II, purchased through bassalien.com. Super guy to deal with, my first purchase from them. I noticed recently that the Star Bass II production is moving to China and will be placed under the Rock Bass group, is this true? No more Korean Star Bass Pro Series? I will report back with a full review of the bass once I've spent some time with it after the "honeymoon"

http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=17072&katID=24506&cl=EN

2. There's an official warwick guy down there somewhere. You can probably ask him.

3. It looks like the new RockBass 4 string version will be 32" scale length and will have a rosewood fingerboard as well as "24 Extra High Jumbo Nickelsilver frets" not sure if 24 is typo or they will have 24....

4. bassalien

bassalien Commercial User

Feb 24, 2012
    Illinois
    Owner, Bass Alien
    4OnTheFloor, thanks for the kind words. I'm trying to find out more info as well. The only other thing I saw is that the solid color ones say "curved body" as opposed to the flamed maple sunburst which says "flat body". Now I have to pull out the sunburst MIK to see if it's flat! I don't recall that, but I'll check. And the RB Star now says 21 frets on their website (like the Korean models).

I have some other info involving numbers, but PM me if you're interested because I'm pretty sure I can't post that here.

5. bassalien

bassalien Commercial User

Feb 24, 2012
    Illinois
    Owner, Bass Alien
    Just a quick update, the Korean Pro Series Star in sunburst is indeed a curved body on top and on the back, but the Chinese RockBass version will be flat for sunburst w/ flamed maple, curved for solid color.

6. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Our apolgies for the errors on the website! The Rockbass Star Bass is 21 frets - 4 string is 32" scale and 5 string is 34" scale. They do have a curved body. Thanks!

7. Thanks for clarifying

8. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    No problem, and thanks for your patience. We had so many items going up before NAMM that a few errors were not corrected. They are fixed now. Please let me know if you've got any questions or need assistance in any way. Thanks again!

9. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    I know it's been a while, but Mr. or Mrs. Warwick Official, what's the difference between a Pro Series and standard Rockbass Starbass five string, if there is a difference? Thanks, and happy New Year!

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Interested in the answer too ... one difference, if I understand it correctly, is that the Rockbass is replacing the Pro Series Starbass which has been discontinued.

11. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    Germany
    The StarBass comes in 4 Versions:

Version 1:
    Complete Made in Germany
    - wenge fingerboard

Version 2:
    Warwick German Pro Serie (WGPS)
    crafted in Germany, assembled in China
    - 34"
    - wenge fingerboard (fretted)
    - Invisible Fretwork Technology

Version 3:
    Warwick Pro Series WPS (Fully Made in Korea)
    Discontunied
    - only 34"
    - wenge fingerboard

Version 4:
    Rockbass Version (Fully Made in China)
    - 4-string only 32"
    - rosewood fingerboard (fretted)

The only difference between a Made in Germany Bass and a Made in Korea Bass is the used wood for the Body/fingerboard and some cosmetical details. The Hardware, Frets and the PUs are identical! The Prices are not identical... ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  12. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If I may add a related question ... does anyone know the string spacing for the 5-string, and what is the widest it can be adjusted to?

13. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    Germany
    "normal" string-spacing (bridge): 14 mm (5-string)

14. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Really ... that's *tight*, and not a bass for me in that case. :oops:

15. MatteoCapitoni

MatteoCapitoni

Jan 7, 2016
    Sorry, it's WRONG: 14mm never done on a bass guitar.

Bridge space string for 5 standard Warwicks is between 15mm and 18mm . On the rare "Broadneck" models has a 17/20mm stringspacing.

Stringspacing in Warwicks are almost always adjustable, where isn't adjustable you'll find 16.5mm (exactly like Stingray 5 or G&L 5, for ex).

16. Version 2 is NOT assembled in China and unfortunately, and quite inexplicably IMO, it costs three times the MIK Pro Series basses ...

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021