Warwick Streamer 2 upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rotorheadcase, Aug 18, 2004.

1. rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    Hi all.....

I've just spent most of my cash on a Stage 2 Streamer and only have enough in the budget to upgrade either the pickups or the preamp from the stock MEC system.

I'm looking at the Seymour Duncan Basslines Active AJB5 pickups and STC 3 way preamp a la Dirk Lance and P-Nut.

Would the SD Jazz pickups with stock MEC preamp provide more bottom and mid tones that I'm after, or is most of the colouration and boost for these systems in the preamp?

In short....SD Jazz pickups and MEC preamp or stock active MEC's with the SD 3 way preamp.

2. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Well I would think they would give you a more of a Dirkish tone if thats what your after?Alot of his tone comes from his rig though
  3. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    try villex - i put some in my stage 1 and love it
  4. rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    Thanks Meekster!!

Point taken! :oops:

I guess we all fall into the never-ending upgrade cycle and I think a bass like this deserves to be judged on it's own merits objectively. With that in mind I'll spend the next few months getting accquainted with it and most likely save myself a stack of dollars and end up being completely satisfied with the sound!!

We all need a kick in the arse now and then!! :D
  5. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    rotorheadcase, yes I agree with playing the bass stock for a while so you can see if it's something you're satisfied with.

If you feel the need to upgrade after a while, I vote to replace the preamp. I think the MEC pickups sound fine, the preamp was okay but I replaced mine. I think the MEC preamp muddies up the tone of the pickups. Preamp tones are very subjective anyways.

Hey iloveloosey, can you give some more detail about the Villex pickups in your Warwick? Basically what did you notice the most about the Villex and do they take away from the fundamental Warwick sound?
  6. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    the villex are middy and crystaline, and really accentuate the acoustic/growly characteristics of a (good) warwick. one of these days i'm going to post some sound clips of mine.