Warwick Streamer & Bartolini W4's?????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by panic_striken, Feb 9, 2006.

1. panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I just got a Warwick Streamer Standard fretless, and the pups and electronics are weak!!!!! The pups are a really, really odd size which makes replacing kinda hard. Oh, this so happens to be a five string also. Anyways, I found a Bartolini pup that is an exact match size wise and looks identical, but it is for a 4 string bass. I have a 5 string.........will it work in my bass??????? The pickup is a Bartolini W4. My bass looks like the middle one, and the Bart is underneath it.

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    In general Bartolini's are all bar magnets. So if the coil configuration in your particular one spans the length of the pickup you should be fine, if you have a "split coil" or quad coil configuration in your Bart's then you would have a weak A string and it wouldn't work. Another issue could be if your coils aren't long enough.

Are there letters under the pickup or do you know the exact model?
  3. Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    I put one of these in my Warwick Streamer Standard 4 string (single PU) and it was a huge improvement over the stock MEC.Attached is the dimensional size,hope it matches your 5 string.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I've always called that the Washburn pup but I don't know who really started the design. The Bart site lists the W4 on both their 4 or 5 string pages - same dimentions so my guess is the same pup. Call bestbassgear. Bart says squat about the construction. Didn't look at the W4CBC which is the one bassgear stocks, but they can probably order any of them.

Alternatively, Hemitom could also drag a pup screw across his and see if the blades are continuous or broken up and where if so. He could also measure the length of the blades which you could compare to your string spread.

Don't have that pup myself.

My guess is it'll work.