1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

warwick streamer finish - need advice, please see pix

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by yooloo, May 6, 2006.

1. yooloo

yooloo

Nov 30, 2005
    Paris, France
    gentlemen, i have posted this one on Setup & Repair, with different pix

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2956081#post2956081

but would like to hear your thoughts on this one...

i've got this streamer, which came with (bloody tough!) sunburst finish, lots of schratcher, bubbling, knocks and stuff...
    took me a few days to sand the original finish down to bare wood, not much to see there - nice flatsawn maple, but nothing worth showing.
    then i've applied three layers of graphite paint, and this is what it looks like now. the color is something between gun metal blue and brushed dark aluminium.
    when finished, it's supposed to have satin chrome hardware (have the bridge, waiting for knobs and tuners), W wenge / ebony fretless neck, set of barts, and Noll TCM2 preamp.
    i'd love to hear what do you guys think about the finish and color, before i get into putting it all together - still plenty of time to do the sanding bit all over again...
    thanks for your time, cheers,
    zoran

Attached Files:

2. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    IMO, the finish looks pretty sweet! I've never seen that color on a warwick, let alone any bass. I like the color alot, and I think you did an awesome job with the refinish.

Greg

3. wRaith

wRaith

Aug 22, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow man, that looks great. The pics in the other thread really look great.

Congrats on a job well done.

4. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Satin chrome hardware is a good pick for that finish. Great job.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hot.

"The sound of metal?" :D

6. yooloo

yooloo

Nov 30, 2005
    Paris, France
    thanks 2 all for looking.
    frank, i've tried everything to "liberate" and show the wood, but it is in such condition that i just had to put something opaque over it.
    there's a lot of spots wher the paint went so deep into the wood, that sanding it would mean changing the shape.
    i went for graphite paint because it's porous and very, very thin. it's close to oil satin finishes, but looks metalic...
    i still hope that i'll be able to preserve that airy but punchy "sound of wood". if not, i'll remember you every time i pick that bass up :crying:.
    thanks for your time,
    cheers,
    zoran