Warwick: Streamer I/ II or Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChrisRae, Feb 22, 2001.

1. ChrisRae

Jan 25, 2001
    North Wales, UK
    I am considering getting a Warwick Thumb 5 String Thru neck, but wonder if given the choice between that and the Streamer Stage I or II, which bass people might opt for. I have been playing a Streamer LX 5 for a few days and like it(but I probably wouldn't choose the LX). I would really appreciate some input ....

2. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Well, I happen to know a friend I just recently met who I believe owns a II or a thumb. Im seeing him this weekend and ill be glad to throw a bunch of questions at him for ya.
  3. ChrisRae

Jan 25, 2001
    North Wales, UK
    thanks 311. Look forward to it.
  4. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I've got a Thumb 5 NT and recently acquired a Streamer Stage II 5. I love them both, but for different reasons.

I know this isn't a problem for everyone, but for me the Thumb is ergonomically terrible. The neck wants to be parallel to the floor (this can be remedied, or so I'm told, but I don't like the idea of adding additional external straploks to the existing internal rig), and the short upper horn means the first couple positions are a BIG stretch! The upside is the sound... I love it. No matter how you tweak the knobs, though, it sounds like a Thumb, so it's not too flexible.

The Streamer Stg II 5 has turned out to be my favorite so far. It balances and fits perfectly, and has a very flexible palette of sounds. Weight is about the same (both are heavy!) as the Thumb. the neck feels a little faster, the lows lower, and the highs higher. Punchy midrange, too.

I've also got a Dolphin Pro 1 5, and find that even though all three basses are made by the same company, each has its own sound. Of the three, I'd say that the Thumb asserts its sound most aggressively, and the Stage II is the best "jack of all trades."

Feel free to email me offline if you have any specific questions.

Happy hunting!

5. I would go for the Streamer. I´ve played 4,5 & 6-string versions of the Thumb...but it´s not as I expected it to be...it´s a good bass though...But I´d say that the Streamer has alot more than the Thumb.

...and LowRanger....how does a Dolphin 5 play...i´ve only had the oppurtunity to play a 4.
  6. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    The Dolphin 5 plays a lot nicer than the Thumb! To my ears, it's got a fairly "dry" sound, but the 9V active 2-band is surprisingly effective for adding rumble when needed.

For me, the Streamer is still the most comfortable of my Warwicks.

Happy Hunting!
  7. ChrisRae

Jan 25, 2001
    North Wales, UK
    Thanks guys,
    These are exactly the kinds of comments I was hoping for. :)
    It seems the Thumb gives a fairly a sound with it's own character, which is not always desirable. It intrigues me that nobody raves about it wholeheartedly without reservation.

8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I am in a similar boat. I think I'm going to go with the Stage II. I love the Stage I for its wide neck, visible neckthru, and soapbar pickups. But it's maple and unless you get a finish upgrade, you have to constantly clean it up. I hate doing this, so I'm going to go with the Stage II. Also, it's available with the piezo bridge. If it only came in a 35" scale... maybe by the time I buy one.
    But what the heck do I know?
  9. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Sorry Chris - when I read your post I thought you were after comparisons between the Warwicks, which as I've only got the thumb I couldn't really answer.

If you want to hear from a happy thumb owner you got one here - its a 4 bolt on (which I've had for about 6 years I think) and I have no reason to change it. I love the tone - Warwicks do definently have their own sound and thats one of the reason I got it. Strangely enough I also don't seem to suffer from the ergonomic problems that quite a few thumb owners get - possibly due to playing the bass very high.

If my house burnt down I'd buy another thumb without any hesitation.
  10. Alright, I think I can play the role of the guy who raves about his Warwick Thumb 5 wholeheartedly and with no reservation! :)

Seriously though, I *personally* love the Warwick Thumb 5, and although i'd take any Warwick any day of the week, my preference definately tends to the thumb. Alot of it is personal cosmetic preference, alot of it is personal tonal preference, but this bass just *FEELS* like me... I really feel like this bass is what I want to be making the sound my hands try and produce... I've always liked Basses with No visible fretmarkers... i've always liked basses with smaller bodies... i've always liked darker neck/fret woods, and i've always liked darker and unfinished body woods...to ME personally, my ideal bass was already being made... and I was fortunate to find one used for a great price... The tone is also my favorite among the Warwicks... I agree with all of the other comments given in this thread... About the ergonomic issue, I thought *all* warwicks had the "neck-dive", problem, but it sounds like it's the worst in the Thumb... that was my *ONLY* problem with this bass when I first got it. I found that to be a bit uncomfortable... However, I raised the bass up a bit and for some reason it's totally comfortable to me now... Again, I really do love everything about this bass... For a final advice, i'll give the age-old "try them both out and see what you prefer", but I thought I should stand up for the Thumb here so you weren't afraid to love it :)

P.S. I also prefer closer string spacing like the thumb has...

WWEEE :)
  11. the reason is simple. Warwick is an option to the
    quality,,, dolphin is the result.... the answer...
    need for quality??... dont think too much..
    need for pure sound??.. think just it...
    dolphin pro I... warwick. response. strongest...
    regards from mexico city..-sn
  12. ChrisRae

Jan 25, 2001
    North Wales, UK
    Heh, John,

I love it! Somebody so eloquently standing up for this instrument. I am a little torn. Previously I thought the Streamers looked big and ugly :) and have played a Thumb neck thru, 6 string a while ago and have fond, although slightly tempered memories of it. The guy who owned it is a session player in the UK who noticed that the engineers had to work hard to get a good sound out of it(for the genre of music he was playing), so, he switched to Musicman Sterling, and became more of a blessing to them:).
    I have been playing the Streamer LX recently and although it has it's drawbacks, it does give a great sound! and... doesn't look as big and ugly up close as I previously supposed tee hee.
    I like to wear the bass really high (quite fancy getting a chin rest fitted :)! so the ergonomics side of the Thumbs problems might not be so noticable.
    My thoughts are veering towards re-sale value. I suspect from the general tone of most Warwick posts is that the Streamer or Dolphin is the favoured series.
    Trust me, I don't mind liking the Thumb, it's when I come to change it that it might concern me a little more.

But, like you say, playing them seems to be the key. Unfortunately, in the UK (outside of London), the choice seems a little limited :(

Thanks for all your replies....
  13. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Hey guys, I'm on your side! I wouldn't give up my Thumb for anything (well, that chinrest does sound like a good idea!).

I've found that wearing a thick leather strap with a rough backing works best for my needs, I already wear the bass pretty high. I tried a "slider strap," they don't work for beans if you wear the bass with the upper horn at armpit level or higher.

Jnprather, good advice: don't be afraid to love it. If it works for you, no matter WHAT it is or WHAT anyone says, ya gotta love it.

I've tried tons of other basses, but nothing does it for me like a Warwick. Nothing.
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my main bass is a neck through thumb 5. it definitely has a unique sound, and i've gotten tons of compliments on it. my ONLY complaint is the way the bass wants to be parallel to the ground. the body just doesn't seem to have the right shape to balance correctly. i have the strap jacked up as far as it goes (the top horn is right on my nipple ;) ) and that seems to get the bass to stay put, however my arms are kinda short and i have to stretch to get the 1st position.

is it worth it? totally. my main bass will ALWAYS be a warwick (although i may trade up to a dolphin 5 eventually) the thumb has it's sound, there's nothign else like it, so if you like the sound, be prepared for the ergonomic stress if you're not a big guy. (if you are, it should be PERFECT if you jack up the strap)

15. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    ......and I liked all of them. However, I sold or traded them all on.

- the neck-thru Thumb had a fantastic 'compressed', funky sound, hands down my favourite. It definitely had its own character and recorded onto my home computer well. Lots of compliments also.
    - the all-maple Streamer had a greta deal of variety and a 'open' sound of maple, which would fit well in many situations.
    - the bolt-on Thumb was good but a dud compared to the other two. Good, but just not as good as the neck-thrus....

- The Thumbs have appalling ergonomics, as has been mentioned. I always ended up in pain from playing them because the neck wanted to dive down to the ground. (Long necks - 26 frets!)
    - The ergonomics of the Streamer were better but not by much. (24 frets only). I still found it annoying and moved it on.

Warwicks are very nice basses, but I do wonder if they need some more R+D to look into placement of strap pins/straploks, etc. For best milage (if you're wanting a Warwick), I'd maybe think about looking at the Streamer Stage II !!! A bass which Stuart Zender makes sound fantastic...