Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Streamer: Jazzman vs. Pro-M

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, May 16, 2001.

1. I am looking for a versatile, yet "slappy" 4-string, and am interested in both of these models. I used to own a Thumb 5 and loved the tone. However, I couldn't cope with the neck diving. So now I'm thinking Streamer -- but which one?

The Jazzman has a J/MM pickup configuration, while the Pro-M has a unique setup: a double jazz pu in the Music Man position, with separate preamp for each half of the pickup.

Your thoughts?

2. I've played the Pro-M and the FNA Jazzman, which is similar enough to the Streamer Jazzman to make the comparison.

Honestly, I think the Pro-M is the better slap-axe; the tone can be summed up one way--modern. The Jazzman is a more traditional sound, but it's just not HUGE the way the Pro-M is. Having two pickups that close together introduces too many phase cancellations when the pickups are blended. This makes the MM/J configuration a three-tone setup at best, two of which (neck solo and neck and tapped bridge) aren't all that special.

The most effective setting for the Pro-M, I've found, is to set each coil volume equally, cut bass and boost treble on the neck-side coil, and boost bass and cut treble on the bridge side. Stick out your thumb and spank that sucker HARD, and you'll get a very "crunchy" tone with enough treble slice to eat through any mix. It's not "warm" in the slightest, but you want a "slappy" bass, right? I'm sure other EQ settings are warmer (neck-side soloed, perhaps?), but I was in my Stanley-wannabe stage at that point, so I can't comment too extensively on the fingerstyle.

The Pro-M is being discontinued, so you can probably get one on close-out for a good price.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    also, the Pro M has the Just-a-nut I, the brass nut that IMO is much better than the new nut. also, the neck is three piece wenge instead of ovangkol (which i think is better too).

there's always a few pro-m's on ebay for under a grand, check it out.

jason

4. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Out of all the Warwicks I've ever played, which is close to the whole line, I've like the Pro-M the most. I was trying out 5s, and the Pro-M neck felt better to me than any other Warwick, and it looks cool-very Spector like which is part of why I was drawn to it. But I had trouble hearing what the tone controls were doing (I'd been playing a US Spector right before this so that could taint my opinion.) This may have been in part of a dying battery, and the fact that whenever I try out a bass amplified some guitarists starts playing metal riffs as loud as possible, I don't know what was up, but that broke the deal for me. I loved the sound I got, but I want versatility out of an active bass that costs that much. But as I said it might have been the battery or something else wrong wiring wise.

Try both out side by side if possible, as said above the Pro-M is being discontinued and may be a little harder to find. See which one gives you the tone you like. I haven't gotten to try out a Jazzman so I can't comment there.