Warwick Streamer LX 5 or 6 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Ok.. i'm VERY interested in this bass..

Warwick Streamer LX, 5-string antique tobacco MEC, gold Hardware, incl. Gigbag - 1.425 € ( $ 1240 )

please give me ANY information, reviews, comments, whatever you know about this bass.

In June / July i get my hollyday-$$ from my boss..

savings + Ibanez EDC + hollyday-$$ = Warwick streamer LX-5 + Ampeg SVT-410HE + AMpeg SVT-15E :D
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I played an LX-6 in a store a couple of weeks ago. I spent some quality time with it through an EBS Drome amp. Construction quality was excellent. It's a very pretty bass, and it feels great. Just as I think all Warwicks feel and look great. And I didn't like its tone, just as I don't like any Warwick's tone (through SS amps, at least). I am yet to find a Warwick which sounds really good to my ears. But a lot of people like them, are you one of them? If you dig the "Warwick sound", then that is a very good price for a solidly built bass.
  3. where are you gonna buy it ??
    is it a new one ??

did you listen to other warwicks ??

why don't you take the Streamer Jazzman ?? (okay..it's a bit more expensive :p )
  4. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    hey AllodoX,

I happen to own a Streamer LX5 in natural maple, you can check it out at the "Show your Warwick" thread.

anyway, I like the bass mucho granda!
    she feels good, she plays good she sounds good but.......!
    she could've beeen much better with 3rd party electronics.
    the MEC crap masks a lot of the sound you hear when playing unpluged and it also not very reliable.
    the pups are okay though.

if you played it and liked it, buy it, theres nothing wrong with this bass and IMO its the greatest bass I ever played (though I didnt play many :D).
    I'll prolly change the electronics in the near future.
  5. I've played it serveral times.. i liked the feel of the neck a lot, and the sound is like i want it : rough, punchy and LOTS of lows.

Where will it be bought ? at Musik Produktiv @ Ibbenburen, Germany. ( over 4500 square meters of pure music pleasure :D )

Why not take the jazzman ? well.. i tried one last week, but i didn't really like the sound.. it totally lacked punch.. but since it was a demo-model.. big chance that the batteries were (near) dead.
  6. I've decided.. yes i will absolutely go for the Warwick Streamer LX in June / July !

But.. i wonder.. does a a 6th string add much value to a bass ? Do you actually use it, or is it just the looks / macho man ?
  7. well I use it! (and ofcourse it looks macho ;) ) I like to play progressive music alot (read: lot's of notes) so the sixth string makes things a lot easier for me. The major difference between a 6 and a 5 string is ofcourse the string spacing. IMO it's a lot easier to play slap style on a 5 string than on a 6. If you don't like tight string spacing don't go for a 6.....
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    6 strings are for wussies.
  9. Right that does it!!! nobody calls me a wuss!
  10. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.

Well if Jaco ...... Oh nevermind :p
  11. So..

4 is for bassplayers
    5 is for macho's
    6 is for wussies
    7 is for ultra-wussies ?
    8 is for ?? :D
  12. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    i owned a streamer lx 5 and i have to agree with air_leech: the electronics ony mine were crap. i actually gave it away because i kept having problems with them. but "when it worked" it was a cool bass, so if you can find a "good one", i can recommend it.
  13. was that the lx5 with jazz pickups or the lx5-broadneck with soapbars ?
  14. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Uh-oh. :eek: You really shouldn't have said that... John, please forgive him, 'cause you know he's new and stuff... ah, well not really, but you see, he's... he's... Dutch!

15. Bug,
    there are 6s out there with any variety of string spacing you want, from 16mm (tight) to 19mm (4 string spacing). For me, having six strings is very useful for soloing, playing chords, and movement across the neck instead of up and down the neck. It is just one more way available to play phrases. All in all, if you suck, you'll suck just as bad with a 6 or a 4, and most lines one plays on a 6 will be playable on a 4. I play a fretted 6 and fretless 4 and sometimes have to re-think my 6 string bass lines when I go to the 4, but usually everything can be done, or closely approximated.

16. Ok, so I'm currently shopping for a 12 string, what does that make me?
  17. FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    I would say go for the 5, unless you have a specific need or desire to use that extra string. The extra 6th string could come in handy, but I think that it really doesn't help much, unless your brand of music really calls for it. If you do a lot of session work, go for the 6, cuz you never know when you will need it. If you are in a band and only play your own stuff, then I would go with the 5.

And, 6's are not for wussies, but why would anybody want to be even remotely associated with a regular guitar player? Have some identity, and use a bass, not a guitar with fatter strings. :D
  18. heheh.. i know someone with a 15-string warrior.. he's the " Über-wuss " :D
  19. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    it really doesnt matter.
    as long as that crappy MEC preamp is there you wont be able to play it more than a few months before something bad happens.

my vol. pot. makes scratching noises ("damn it Jim, I'm a bass player not a DJ!") and guess what? you cant replace it with another pot cause the ciruitry is on the pots themselves.
    now the greedy Jerrys over at Warwick want me to pay 75$ for a new pot.
    for that money, I prefer to go aftermarket.
  20. hmm... well we'll see :) going to buy one in june / july :D but maybe it'll become a LX-6 :)