Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick streamer lx

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Warwicks seem to be hot on here these days dont they? anyway Im llooking at getting one of these beast and I never played one. Ive owned 2 bolt on thumbs and corvette and im wondering if these have that that warwick sound with its configuration and how it varies. I love the sound of slap on a warwick and wonder if i will get simmillar results. would the tone be more rounder and mellower?

2. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    im interested to hear the answer to this question too. Ive never played this model but i want one really bad. I cant find any. sometimes on ebay, but they are rare.

3. I doub't it.

When trialling a few warwicks i found this to be the brightest and most 'dynamic'.. most likely due to the maple body.

The typical warwick tone is there.. due to the fact that almost all bolt on's in the warwick family use the same configuration of woods in their necks.

I trialled the following.
    - Thumb BO 4
    - Corvette Standard 5
    - Streamer LX 4 & 5
    - Infinity SN 5
    - Streamer STD Double HB

4. FYI..

This bass has been discontinued.

Been replaced by the Chrome Tone bass.

5. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    I once owned a Streamer LX.
    I bought it because it was a beautiful instrument, with a black satin finish.
    Also i wanted a Warwick with the P+J configuration.

I was quite happy with it, well built, ergonomic and good sounding.
    The tone was very punchy, maybe due to the maple body.
    But it wasn't very 'Warwick' tone.

I finally sold it because I owned (and still own) a 1989 Thumb, I always choosed the Thumb when i wanted to play.

6. One word....AWESOME. They are awesome. I played one and it was just so deep and growly, and had a ncie rnage of sounds due to the active electronics. It had such a smooth neck and was so nice to play. I'm looking at getting one when I have enough money(I'm gonna have to sell some basses first though :bawl: ).

7. At first, I didn't believe you, but I checked Warwick's website and found you were right. As I see it, having a chrome finish as an option - which it has been for at least ten years over at Warwick - is a good idea. To make it the only finish option isn't. 'Cause even if the CT Streamers look good enough to me, I think most people prefer more traditional oil, or gloss, finishes. Especially in the long run, since the chrome finish seems hard to maintain properly. Yet another weird move by Warwick.

Also, I think the LX basses were among the best basses in the Warwick line, capable of both Warwick-y and vintage-y sounds, without that infamous neck dive. This is especially true for the older Streamer bolt-ons, with cherry bodies and maple necks. I wish they still made them that way.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
  9. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I purchased my Streamer LX 5-string right before they discontinued the line. I used to own a Corvette Standard so I'll try and give a comparison. The Streamer LX still has a lot of the fundamental Warwick sound but I think the maple body makes it a little less exotic sounding, for lack of a better term. I think you can coax more traditional tones but you also get tremendous growl but not the growl normally associated with the Thumb. It obviously can delivery bright tones but I've been able to get warmer tones out of it, very responsive to hand placement and preamp/pickups adjustment. As previously stated, I wouldn't use "round" to describe it's character. I know a lot of people use the term "baseball bat" to describe these profile of the necks but I find them comfortable. I don't think they are that thick, thicker than some but not bad at all. I find the profile puts my hand in a good playing position. For me, I have trouble with the wide and flat necks. You know "landing strips". :D

10. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Just ordered me one of these. ill post reviews when i get it.Thanks for the replies

11. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    yeah mike your bass is a beauty, almost one of a kind.. never seen that type of wood grain on a warwick. until i saw your site.

Heres My thumb bass bolt on. :D

12. I want to post a pic of my warwick now. In fact [​IMG]
    Me with my warwick

13. If I were to get me a Warwick again, I'd have the following (most of which I've owned as some point)

Streamer Jazzman - very wide range of tomes with MM and J pick ups, mine had a seymour Duncan basslines circuit in it, I'm not sure if they still use this, I thinks its a similar MEC circuit ???

Stage 1 - very playable bass, good sounds and nice feel

Stage 2 - ?? not sure about this, mine had barts in it and was a bit harsh, never played one with stock p/u's

Dolphin - cool bass, the set neck model I played a while back had a nice punchy tone with a neck that was too chunky for me, the neck thru is the way to go but it's a lot of $$$$/££££

Tony

14. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Just curious, but was it the blue one on bassgear.com? If so, nicely done. Great bass, awesome price. I was considering just buying it and throwing it on the 'Bay to make 100-200 bucks.

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    go on harmony central, some kid is selling one for under 6 hundred.

16. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    yeah that's the one, I think. Blue. Looks like a sweet axe and a great deal. I've seen these sell for $750+ on Ebay.

17. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
  18. Because you want my bass? :meh:

19. Just to add that I met the Vice President of Warwick UK a few weeks ago and aside from offering me the bass of my choice at trade price - which immediately made me start thinking stupid thoughts about spending more money I don't have (tax bill looming aaaaaahhhh!) - he also assurred me that Warwick's are still all hand made apart from the super accurate fret work which is done by computer, to hundreds of thousandths of some very small number, to get each and every fret perfect.

I know a lot of you have seen my sexy 1990 Thumb bass, but he also told me that the highly figured bubinga that is on my bass has been coming back and is being used again by their bass builders - so keep your eyes peeled - the new batch of UK made Warwicks (yes, they have set up a full factory here in Blighty) will feature some of that gorgeous wood...

*mmm now let's have a look at that bank balance one more time....DOH! I guess I'll have to wait for my dream Thumb 6...*