Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Streamer Playing Ramp Wood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Pretty soon, I'd like to get a playing ramp made for my Warwick Streamer Stage II, so now comes the decisions...

The body wood is Afzelia, and I'd like to have the ramp match that color as best as possible, but I know that Afzelia isn't exactly a commonly used wood for basses :p

I'd be having Rob Elrick make the ramp, so I would either have to pick another wood that would be simmilar in coloring, or maybe find a piece of Afzelia myself to send to Rob. So what other woods would be closest in color? Or where would I be able to find a chunk of Afzelia wood to buy?

Here's a picture for color reference:
    [​IMG]

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Mahogany can be pretty close in color and grain to that. I'm not sure what else...

If all else fails, you can always go the "ebony to match the pickups" route :D

3. I thought about Ebony (or even Wenge), but that would kinda mess up the flow of the bass for me. I like this nice solid color look :)

4. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    However you do it, let me know how you deal with the arched top:)

5. Yeah...I'm still working on that :p

I sent off a couple e-mails to Warwick peoples, but haven't gotten anything back yet. If that fails, I'll just curve a wire to it and measure that I guess. Should be fine if it's a little off anyways - just so long as the foam tape reaches the body :)

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's probably just as easy as that- use a strip or two thickness of tape on the ends and nothing in the middle to create a sort of shelf- it's not like a sturdy ramp will flex up and down anyways unless it's being used incorrectly.

7. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Excuse me for my ignorance, but what exactly is a "ramp"?

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    A ramp is a block of wood (usually radiused to match the fingerboard) placed either in-between the pickups or between a pickup and the neck.
    A photo:
    [​IMG]
    For more information on ramps, read this.