Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Streamer Pro M4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lakerkobe, Jul 3, 2002.

1. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    This bass worth $850? Here is a pic. The one I am looking at is a 4 string... not 5.

2. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Or the Corvette FNA is available for the same price. Any Warwick expert out there who can give me an idea of the differences in sound and versatility in these? Thanks. Here is a pic of the Corvette FNA. Which of these 2 would be closer to a Jazz bass?

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    This one ;)
    Is lighter, has wider string spacing, and just all round is better than the Streamer. If your going for jazz, this is the one you get. It has more controls, tone, volume, etc. This ones the one for jazz as far as warwicks go

IMO of corse ;)

[​IMG]

4. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Thank you. I am not necessarily going to play Jazz. Just want the one that sounds more like a Jazz bass. Is that one going to be more versatile? Maybe I am stupid but I thought the other one would since it has the dual pickup. Are these boys better than an American Fender Standard Jazz? There are a few auctions I am watching that end soon.

5. If you want a JAZZ BASS then you should peally consider a fender JAZZ BASS.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    warwick has two string spacings. the one on their 4strings and 5/6 string broadnecks, and their normal tight spacing 5/6 strings. all warwick basses "play" the same if the string spacing is the same - all the other stuff is the same too except for body material and pickups.

if you want one close to a jazz bass, get a corvette 4 string with JJ pickups, a Jazzman, or a streamer stage 2. ash body on the corvette and jazzman help.

i think both of those will be more "musicman" than "jazz bass." you have to have the neck pickup to get the sound.

7. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Thanks. Is the Warwick Streamer ProM 4 going to be that much better in sound and playability than the Streamer Standard?

8. Playability, as already said, would be the same if they have the same spacing, so no, but most people would prefer the pro m sound (active) to the standard (passive).

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    lakerkobe, why do I get a feeling that you are a teenager who hasn't gone out and tried these basses, but still asks for advice? Just intuition, maybe....:rolleyes:

10. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Not a teenager. Thanks though. Although some might say I act like one at times. Asking me if I have gone out and tried them to see how liked them would be like asking a 10 year old to differentiate between sips of different brands of single malt scotch. I don't play and want to learn and am trying to soak up information from people here who have been very helpful, save yourself.

11. Some good dialog here...While that's a sunburst FNA I'm playing in the pic, I have fond memories of the Streamer Standard single PU model that I put an EMG 2-band concentric knob EQ in. The volume pot had a pull-contour switch. Overall sound in the early Stingray range, but the pull switch and proper tweaking could get J-burp or P-thunder adequately. Trouble is, you're not gonna do what I did for much less than $875, and the Streamer Pro-M has a contoured body, whereas the Std is a slab. I second the motion that a Warwick Corvette variant with J pickups may be your best bet here. I recommend the bubinga Standard model with EMG active PU upgrade. This gives good P-thump with both PU open, and gives great J tones without the single coil hum thanks to the buffer built in to the pickups. I regret having gotten rid of mine, but my FNA nas the no-longer-standard all-wenge neck, as opposed to ovangkol, which has been standard since '99. Also, they are not gonna make the Pro-M again until next year, so your deal is even better. I do think (to answer your original question) that the Pro-M will give a more J-like sound, and I even like the body style better (it's a variant on the Spector NS), but the pickup placement is too close to the bridge for my liking, and the FNA has a MM pickup in P-position.

Lakers rule--I grew up in LA...

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Why do you talk down to everyone on the board like you know more than they do, when you aren't all that old yourself? (I'm not one of those people who bring up people's age in an agruement, but for this case, I think it's a valid point)

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    He is asking a couple legitmate questions here. Lighten up. Isn't that was this board is here for, to ask for advice??:rolleyes:

14. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I think everyone is missing the boat a bit. The Streamer Std is very inferrior in sound and build quality to the Streamer Pro-M. The Pro-M is a mid level bass with dual preamps one per each J pickup within the dual pickup housing. It has a contoured body similar to the Thumb and Stage I and II and more tonal variation than the FNA. But to answer the original question yes the Pro-M is worth the $850.00.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    From what I understand the Std tanked pretty bad (nobody bought them) and so Warwick re-introduced them as the budget Rockbass line.
    All the warwicks I've played are really nice intruments...the Std was ok, but I can see why it was relegated to the Rockbass.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And this is a problem how? I was an hour's drive from the nearest GC, and other than two crappy music stores who stocked a couple fenders, and samick gear, I had no way of testing stuff out. It was mail order for anything besides that. I can dredge up a list of things I've asked about that I haven't gone out and tried, because I could not. I'm STILL two hours away from anything. The local place sells Corts, Peavey, and Fender.

And you yourself seem to be pretty teenagerish yourself there.

So what's the problem in asking? Ryan said it already, but lighten up, dood.

17. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    The PRO-M and FNA looks similar, but are very different in electronics.
    The first has two close jazz pickups; the second has a humbucker a la MusicMan

This means that the PRO-M has a more versatile (which doesn't mean better) sound than the FNA

They sound different, but either have the Warwick growl, if you want a bass to sound like a Fender Jazz, check for a Fender Jazz!!

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used to own a FNA 4 stringer. I wouldn't say that it sounded like a Fender Jazz, though. It sounded very nice, had the "Warwick sound" to a certain extent, but it didn't do a Jazz thing very well. But that isn't what I bought it for, anyway.:)
    What it did excel at was slapping. Pull the slap contour switch on the preamp, and it kicked major ass. Fingerstyle sounded great with it too, but slap is where I think it really excelled.

So why don't I still have it?? 34" scale (I prefer 35"). Other than that, I don't know. Probably shoulda kept that one. :rolleyes:

19. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hmmm, whoops yall. Little too harsh. Sorry, thread starter. Point taken. I will go back into my cave for a few more hours and come back when the anger has lowered. I've just been pist because I can't get my bass for a lot more months now, so I've been releasing agression into posts. Ah poo, please forgive me, brother...

Sorry again. :(

20. ok, this has been mentioned a lot with this guy, but why are you spedning $850 on a bass when you don't actually play yet? I know what its like to want after expensive gear wen u just start out :), but theres nothing worse then buying something worth loads, then 6 months down the line, u develope your technique that tiny bit more and suddenly your needs are different....give it a year with a cheaper bass, then perhaps splash out a little!

just my 2 pennies

*Si*