Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Streamer ProM 5 -vs- Dingwall Afterburner (5)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 'JC', Dec 26, 2004.

1. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    First of all, let it be known I have the coolest uncle in the world.

I'm still shopping for a new bass despite some unforeseen expenses, but have really needed a 5 lately since I started playing with a new group. My uncle says to me "You're free to borrow one of my Warwicks in the meantime." :hyper:

I'm still getting used to this spacing.
    The tone is great, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about Dingwall's since getting a chance to play Juneau's here.
    (In fact I think I found "the one" but don't have that cash on me at the moment.)

I believe there totally different animals, but I'm just curious between these two basses, which one "does it" for you and why?

2. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    My Warwick 5ers are gone - in favor of the Dingwall you see in my avatar.

My Warwick 4s are gone - in favor of my Dingwall Afterburner II - 4 string.

Dingwalls are well made - sound great - and Sheldon is great to work with.

3. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    That says it all Eggman.
    Thanks!

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've owned two Warwicks (Corvette FNA and Streamer Jazzman 5) and have played many. I don't own any anymore and I don't plan on it. Both were impulse buys that I regretted about a week after the purchases. Warwicks just don't do it for me. YMMV, of course.

I have only briefly played a Dingwall Afterburner I 5er. I can't comment much on it, except for from my limited play time on it, I thought it was a very nice bass.

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Cool uncle indeed! Is he on TB?

Marshall

6. 4lPh4n0m3g4

4lPh4n0m3g4

Nov 19, 2004
    I currently own an AB I 5 string and have played quite a few Warwicks. Not dissing warwicks at all as I find them to be very beautiful to look at and if I could, I would own one strictly for studio work.

IME,

1. The AB I de-myths the statement that more weight = more tone. It's very light and has tone & sustain for days.

2. It's passive, yet still sounds huge. ( no more worries about dying batteries.)

3. The "B" on the AB I is tighter/punchier/clearer than any Warwick ( or any other bass I have tried for that matter. I have never played a knuckle though.....) I have ever tried.

4. The ergonomics ( string tension, body balance, etc.) of the Dingwalls are (for me) far superior to those of Warwicks.

5. In the slight chance something does go wrong I feel much better dealing with an instruments builder, than with some faceless "customer service rep." as is typically employed by most in manufacturing these days.

I will say the only thing I'm having trouble with is playing any bass that's not a Dingwall, they just dont feel "right". Ah well, could be worse. :D