Warwick Streamer Stage (1991) Doesn't sound warm enough

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Jun 28, 2004.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Recently I bought an 13 year old Warwick Streamer Stage. Wether it is a Stage I or a Stage II, I haven't found out yet Some say it is a Stage I, some say it is a Stage II. Perhaps I should simply send an email to the Warwick people themselves. It has two Bartolini humbuckers, a 2-band preamp (Warwick's own design, not of the MEC-type yet) and a seven piece neck through design. Fivestring, quite wide stringspacing. Handmade, what usede toe be the normal procedure then...

What I like most is playing passive, which is off course possible with this bass. (active push/pull volume pot for active/passive mode) Funny enough I recorded a small file with this 'groovebrother' and was a little confused when I listened to it. It is like I have an active bass with EMG pickups, instead of a passive bass with Bartolini's. I once picked up that changing the preamp gives the Streamer a warmer sounding character. But is it also without using the preamp, so in fact that the electronics influence the sound and should that 'problem' be over when I change it. Or is it just the sound of the bass, and I have to live with it or sell the d@mn thing?

I know that it is typical of humbuckers, but I heard a G&L too (talking about humbuckers...wow...) but didn't hear that problem. They are a little more vintage than this one. The sound is good overall (if not very good) but there's a tiny thing I dislike.

Quite some text, hoping you guys have some advice or experiences with it?

Here you can listen to an mp3, so that you can hear what I mean. Only one track during the drumming, just some improvising, two different tracks placed before that part. A bit compression, and a bit reverb.About three minutes, small file. (2Mb I believe)

2. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    The tone sounds good to me, with a nice amount of growl...

I have a 1990 5 string Warwick Streamer Stage 1 and it sounds similar to yours. I believe you have a Stage 1 too - because you said the bass has a wide string spacing (Stage 2 have a narrower string spacing). Could you post pics?

Anyway from what I hear your tone is typical of a neck-through instrument with bartolinis... if you don't like it you could try changing the pickups but I'm not sure it would change the sound that much, maybe you prefer the punch of a bolt-on instrument?
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I went to preview my reply and saw that Ari made the same points but even more concisely! As Ari said, you almost certainly have a Stage I, and the lack of warmth is possibly because you have a neck-thru instrument.

That said: I have a 1998 Stage I... it has Duncan Bassline pickups and MEC preamp. I wouldn't really call it warm either, but IMO that's mostly because it has that trademark Warwick growl. For a warmer tone, try rolling off highs and boosting lows and/or low mids. You could also try using different strings... groundwounds, tapes, maybe even flats?

Unfortunately I can't listen to your mp3 here at work. :scowl:
  4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Thanks, I looked at your site and what a fantastic Warwick Streamer you have! Gorgeous grainpattern, no scratches... did you in fact really use it??? Considering mine it is abused, but really has a rock growl. In addition a Jazz bass would be perfect, but I only have money for one.

The only difference with mine is that it has no dotmarkers on the neck, but that's it. Perhaps I should try a few basses in the nearby future and considering to sell this one again... It is just so difficult, finding the right tone. I thought I had it, but no...

It picks up anything what you do with the instrument, so there's a lot of tonal variety. I find myself quite a bit playing in 1/4 neck and 3/4 bridge setting. But perhaps it is typical of a neck through body. I will try to cut some highs, but the highs are just typical usefull in what I play.
  5. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Thanks! In fact I bought the Streamer on ebay a few weeks ago. The bass is in great condition, seems it was only used in the studio during all those years. I'll probably have it refinished with oil though, to give it that "shiny" look.

And I agree, it takes lots of basses to try before finding "your" sound!