1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Streamer Stage I vs II ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Sep 12, 2001.

1. I've been browsing basses a bit, and thinking of adding a Warwick Streamer to my collection somewhere in the next few months..

But i am still unsure if it will be a Stage I or a Stage II..

The Stage I is made of maple wood, and the Stage II is made of African afzelia wood..
    What exactly is the primary difference between these two ?

I've played on a 4-string Stage I in a local store once, and i loved it.. but how does it compare to a Stage II ?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As an owner of both, I have to tell you that it's all in what your looking for. As for recording, the Stage2 is better, and it's heavier in weight. It also has a better low end presence as well. The Stage1 is a mutha on stage. It's great live and recording bass as well, but has better mids and high end than the Stage2 IMO. Maybe soneone else has a different view.

3. I agree with warwicknut. Having owned and played more than a few Warwicks I'd have to say that the Stage II is a "darker" sounding bass. This is probably due to the dense exotic woods used in it's construction (primarily afzelia) whereas the Stage I is mainly made out of maple which is brighter sounding IMHO. Both are wonderful instruments and the decision would be best made by playing each model side by side although I believe that the Stage II is more expensive which might steer you towards a Stage I.

4. hey.. you don't happen to have a recording of both basses do you ?

I played a 4-string stage I, but it had pretty low tone.. if the stage 2 sounds even lower.. woah ! :)

5. i believe the stage II has a tighter string spacing than the stage I, if that's an issue.

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Only the 5-strings have diffferent string spacing--the Streamer II 5 has fairly narrow spacing, like the Thumb and Dolphin (the other two wenge neck-through Warwicks), while the Streamer I 5 has full 20mm spacing.

As far as other differences go, all-maple basses like the Streamer I (and the Spector, too, for that matter) always seem a little "one-dimensional" and lacking in midrange complexity to my ears. Obviously, it's a matter of taste, playing style, etc. etc. and other folks may well love them. I've played the Streamer I a couple of times, though, and it never really knocked me out tonally. On the other hand, I just picked up a used Streamer II 4 for a great price, and was amazed at how good it sounds. The wenge neck of the II really seems to make a big difference. (The little yin-yang inlays are pretty cool, too. ;-))