Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Streamer Stage II5 vs. Streamer Jazzman 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dyno_uk, Dec 24, 2004.

1. dyno_uk

dyno_uk

Dec 24, 2004
    Hello guys,

Would really appreciate your help on this one.

Im looking to get a new bass soon, but have been told many different stories about the Warwick Streamer Stage II and the Streamer Jazzman.

I have played on quite a lot of basses recently in my quest for the "my" perfect bass and taken a disliking to the Fender/MusicMan neck feeling. The Warwick neck is a little chunky, but feels just right after a few minutes of playing. As far as the body shape is concerned i have fallen in love with the Streamer, so i know i've narrowed it down to a few :)

The price of the Stage II is a little daunting in the UK, but the sound used by the earlier incubus stuff is incredible and something i would like to reproduce. It seems to have an uncomparable bass "presence" to anything i have played yet gives a rasping mid/high range at the same time. As well as this sound i would also like a warm sound for more playing in more chilled music.

A man in a bass shop in London told me that he hadnt sold a stage 2 for many years now, and that the streamer jazz man is umpteen times more punchy and versatile than the stage 2 used by Dirk Lance AND has more or less taken over the sales of the S2. He also said that the modern through necks are easily compared to through necks through better wood matching for best sound transfer.

Which bass would be best for me to buy?

What are the real differences between the two apart from the obvious things (- through neck, fret markers, woods used and pickups)?

If the S2 is the preferred bass, is a £600/$1000+ greater spend justified for a sound which can nearly be recreated on the jazzman?

Cheers People.

Dyno

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    It really depends on what sound you are in to. I played a Corvette Jazzman and a Streamer Stage II a couple days ago (at the local GC). I was seriously unimpressed with the SSII, especially for what the price indicated. It was built well, but the sound just wasn't there for me. Definitely not a "punchy" as the Jazzman. I guess I'm just not a neck-through kind of guy. Oh, and that sucker was HEAVY. The Jazzman electroncis seemed pretty flexible, but I didn't fool with them long enough.

Next I picked up a Corvette Standard, and I really liked that one. I was quite surprised. A little rounder with a deeper voiced growl. I like the streamer body style, I had a Pro M once. However, the corvette was also quite comfortable. I didn't play it with a strap, I'll make sure to do that next time.

3. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I have owned a couple of Thumbs and still have a Streamer Stage II, I will never give this bass up, for me it is the tone I have been looking for. I have had soundmen come up to me and say, man, when you play that bass the tone is incredible. The bass has huge low end and has a lot of clarity with some brightnes that I like a lot. Unfortunately, mine doesn't have the Wenge neck but it does have a Wenge fb.

I have never played a Streamer Jazzman and I haven always wanted to try one out. The Streamer bodies are very comfortable especially when you wear them with a strap standing up. Try and find both to play find out what you like, I don't think you could go wrong with either one of them.

4. dyno_uk

dyno_uk

Dec 24, 2004
    Cheers guys. Great advice there! :) Will have to find a shop that has both in stock.

Has anyone out there tried the Streamer Jazzman who can honestly compare it to the SS2?

5. slicecom

slicecom

Oct 19, 2004
    Toronto
    I am also a huge Dirk Lance fan, but IMO his sound had more to do with his INSANE setup than his bass. Check out what he used for his live rig:

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/360/