Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Streamer Standard-should I pull the trigger

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Aug 16, 2005.

Should I get the Warwick

Poll closed Aug 19, 2005.
  1. To get :)

30 vote(s)
    56.6%
  2. Or not to get :(

23 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. Well recently I walk into my music store and see a Warwick Streamer standard 5 in natural brand new for 700$ and I liked it yet I also played a Fender American P and liked it but thats another story

So basically what I was wondering was"Is the Warwick Streamer standard a good value for the money? and will it stand the test of time? Does it cut through well? I apl in a rock band. I liked it but I like almost anything so I was wondering i it's good for the money

Thank you for all help

2. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    does it cut through? no. will it hold value? not particularly well, no.

Oh, and does it sound better than most other basses at the price point? Er....no.

Check out an Ernie Ball Sub, or even a used Sterling or Stingray--if you're looking for a sound investment and want to "cut through".

3. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    im guessing someone doesnt like rockbasses,

i happen to hate Subs and i think they seem flat and sound dull.

i like Rockbasses and although they are definatly no full price Warwick they do have quite some bang for the buck, especially the active models.

4. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    No...trust me when I say you can get SO much more for that kind of cash. The pickups are absolutely Balls as well. MEC's do not fly in my books.

The only reason i could see anyone wanting to own one was for the Warwick headstock instead of the Rockbass one :bag:

Purely my opinion

5. It's not a rockbass it's a warwick

6. My rockbass corvette 4 is great for the money. Sounds really good, plays great, and doesnt look too shabby either. I agree that it is no real warwick though, doesnt have the growl.

I musicman will cut through more, but I suggest you try the Streamer and see if you like it. You get a lot of bang for your buck.

7. Buy SOMETHING already.

8. If its the Warwick Streamer std I doubt its brand new, as they were discontinued a few years ago I think. Unless its been sitting in the shop a long time that is.

The Warwick streamer std was the entry level warwick before they brought out the rockbass range, and as such it is has cheaper componants such as a 1 piece bridge and the tonewood used is cheaper also (cant remember exactly what wood was used for the body).

They are pretty comparable to the modern rockbass streamers, but having never played one couldnt really comment on tone etc.

There are a few people on here who own them though I think. :)

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Looks like plywood. Dents like balsam.

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The wood is carolena, I believe. I think it's a conifer like pine and agathis.

For $700 you can probably get a used Corvette or Fortress, which are much better. A German Warwick Streamer Standard with the 1-piece bridge should perhaps be about $500 or so used. Heck, if you're not dead set on a Warwick, $700 could get you a good variety of used higher end basses. Just check the TalkBass classifieds.

If you can get a used Corvette Standard with the all wenge neck and brass nut...that thing has a slap tone that cuts like a hot knife through butter and a killer fingerstyle tone as well.

11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    You're totally right--carolena. The luthiery equivalent of Mystery Meat!

12. They don't have the versatility other warwick's have IMO.

700 isn't an amazing deal on those either so i'd buy my time thinking.

but what it really comes down to is how much you like it... i have a friend in a funk band who likes his just fine and won't touch my FNA jazzman. Good luck, but i'd recommend playing around especially if this is your first upgrade from your first bass....

13. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    The four main things you must ask is,,,,

What kind of tones do you want? (growl, thump, clunk, fat, etc)

What feels comfy? (5string, string spacing, scale lengths)

What can you afford? (700-1200? 200-2000?)

What is worth waiting for? (saving money?, waiting to go custom?)

If you answer all of these "correctly" you may be GAS free after this purchase...

14. groove100

groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    VA.
    Personally i donot prefer the streamer model
    probably because of its sound.

I would suggest if you have budget around 2800 go get a FNA jazzman or a Bolt-on Thumb, these two are really good basses. but again i've talked to some few cats who really liked the streamer and it works for them.

i would suggest for you to try these basses and do a research on other brands, (online or other musician's point of view) and try to decide for yourself. buying a bass is like buying an extrension of yourself that you will be with for a long period of time.

good luck

markus huber

15. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I think maybe you meant "a budget of $800" there.

For $2800, you'd have a bit broader assortment to choose from.

16. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I know, I was saying it may as well be

17. rabs

rabs

Dec 11, 2002
    UK
    I have a 4 string 2 pick up streamer standard and love it. I have had the humbuckers tapped giving me single/series/parallel....a lot of sound options. I briefly had a warwick pre-amp put in it but wasn't happy with the outcome so went back to passive.

18. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You can get a pretty decent bass for $700 these days, especially if you go used. Much better ones than the Streamer Standard, I have to say (I used to have one myself).

19. chengann

chengann

Apr 22, 2003
    i owned a thumb bass 5 nt couple of years back.
    6 months into playing, a gap appeared at a corner of the fingerboard. the neck laminates started expanding at
    different rates causing uneven feel. i was told to sand it down. every two weeks, the neck had to be adjusted with that strange wrench tool (which i am sure was designed to strip the nut). i thought it was the local humidity so i waxed the bass every 2 weeks (instead of the monthly rub as recommended). nope...no help.

to warwick's credit, they agreed to exchange the bass for me.
    but i had to burn 500 bucks to ship it back to germany.
    and waited 4 months to get it back.

when i got back the new bass, i immediately sold it off
    at 50% off list price. the new owner had not call me since.
    i assume he had no problem with the bass.

bad workmanship on a high end bass? go figure.

and last year, having forgotten my painful lesson, i went
    shopping for a warwick again. this time, a rockbass fretless.
    despite fellow tbl-ers warning about rockbasses, i got myself in the same spot again. the bass arrived with a very plain looking body. the wood grain and the color stain is not what they show on their webpage. the knobs are poor quality. the bridge had 1" corner which was not spray painted, and had the brass metal exposed. it definitely looked like a 150usd bass.

on the electronics: the soldering in the control cavity was horrid. a friday evening job. the newer mec pickup sucks. i know...coz i swapped it out with basslines and suddenly all the tones openned up. but it still lacked control. the mec preamp is set on useless frequencies. now i am saving for a obp-3 to salvage the bass. on a positive note: i do like the bony fingerboard and maple neck. looks sturdy this time.

last week, i was browsing the local forum again and spotted a streamer standard for sale, at an equivalent of 500usd only. hmm hmm...won't be fooled again this time. last i checked, the hardware on the streamer is some low grade chrome metal. the stock mec soapbar pup is alright but it's really unlike the older mec and the barts. quality problem again? cheaper coil wires? cheaper magnets? i dont know...

anyway, my conclusion is this: warwick is living on its legacy and reputation form the early 90's. they have moved on to mass production and forgotten about quality control.
    and those comments from fellow tbl-ers.....i have learnt to take them seriously! (despite my rationale which may often be biased by my GAS).

for those folks here who have good experience with rockbass...well, perhaps it's not the norm. those must be the rare days the warwick rep walked in to the chinese factory for quality audit. (they don't own the factory).

get a spector instead...i just sunk hard earned money on a rebop 5. european made. the 2004 model with dot inlays can still be had for under 700usd. have yet to hear anyone who got shoddy workmanship on their rebop. the hardware and finish is of good quality. and if you do a search, you will realize that warwick streamer is a copy of spector's design.