Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Streamer Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FUNKIESTMUNK, Apr 30, 2001.

1. FUNKIESTMUNK

FUNKIESTMUNK

Feb 25, 2001
    I'm considering buying a Streamer Standard 4 string but don't know whether to save up extra cash for the dual pick up model.Is it much better than the single pick up model and worth the extra £50 about $80? Also does anyone have one of these basses, and what do you think?

Any comments and critisisms are welcome.....

Cheers!!

2. warwicks are great basses but I don't like the streamer standard, for the price range those are in you can get a great spector.

3. FUNKIESTMUNK

FUNKIESTMUNK

Feb 25, 2001
    Is the spector a good slap bass though.. As this is the primary reason i'm looking for a streamer standard plus I can buy a new one here in the UK for £399 ($570US Dollars)..

4. FUNKIESTMUNK

FUNKIESTMUNK

Feb 25, 2001
    Any Spector models in particular??

5. I'm not to into slap so I can't tell you if its got a good slap tone, as for a model I just bought a ns2000 Q4 and I really like it they cost about 519 in the US. They have a five bolt on neck a quilted maple top, 3 piece maple neck, passive emg hz pickups run thru a emg active pre amp. Or you could step up to the neck thru model for about 750 US money. They are made in Korea tho, but I like them. For the money I think the blow away the streamers. I know musiciansfriend had the old cr model for 699-899 that would be a good deal for you if you could get that money. I was planning on getting one but when 420 rolled around I spend a little more then planned.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The Slappability of the Spectors suit my playing. I'm pretty aggressive. They have good response. It's a little brushy and bright but I EQ the mids and Hi-Mids out. It depends on your technique. I like the punch from the Warrwick Thumb Bolt-on. Heavy wood.

I think it was a Streamer Standard I was messing with this weekend. It had a flat body with almost the same shape as a Spector. It sounded good. I am used to the contoured Spector body. It's more comfortable.

That's a good price though. I can't get a Spector around me for that except a Chinese flat toy model.

I'd go for it. Play it for a few hours first and check that it's been kept well (no cracks).

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I've got a Thumb BO, which as everyone nose is a tad neck heavy. But compared to the Streamer Standard I tried, it is positively perfectly balanced. I didn't like it one bit, nice neck tho. It also seemed to lack the classic warwick growl.

8. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I own a Streamer LX5, it's a bolt on with the contoured NS style body and flame maple wood, golden hardware, active humbucking pickups and so on, a very nice bass.
    unfortunatly I'm not sure if you can afford one as they cost like 2-3 Streamer standards so my suggestion would be either look for a higher end warwick in the used market, save up and get a Corvette (if you like the sound that is) or buy the most simple Streamer Standard and put aftermarket electronics in it.

9. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I have a fretless Streamer Standard, so I can't comment on the slapping tone, but I have the dual MEC soapbars, and the sound is very fat and full. I think you'd like it. In fact, I bought it because I didn't want to dump too much cash into it, thinking I wouldn't play the fretless as much as my fretted basses, but I often reach for it first because it's enjoyable to play. Hey, you can always add an onboard preamp down the road if you want to upgrade the electronics, but the two pickup model is pretty nice as is.

10. I have a Streamer Standard 5 with two pups. It sounds great and has an awesome slap tone. I'd definitely go with two pups, just so you don't get bored with the one sound you get with one.