Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Streamer STD????????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Is this a lowend Warwick like the rock bass or is it for real? Need to know quick. Please help.

2. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    There's more than a difference between a Warwick Streamer Standard and a RockBass
    Streamer Standards are (were) brand's entry level built in Germany with basically a cheaper bridge.
    RockBasses are made in Corea, and their construction quality is inferior to the Streamer Standard.
    That been told, i never heard any RockBass, while i can tell you that the Streamer Standard has a nice sound

3. it's in between the two. i've played a fiver that i hated, and a four that was pretty nice. i don't think it's the best you could do for the money, but if you find a good deal on a used one, go for it.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I have a friend who owns a 4-string streamer STD and I hate it. It won't make a good sound no matter what...

OTOH, I have played some of those warwick rock basses, and I believe that for the money, they are decent basses...

5. I once owned a Streamer STD, and the tone was lacking something IMO. My Reverend Rumblefish looks, plays, and sounds much better!

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think the best thing about the real warwick streamer standard is that it has the real warwick bolt-on neck vs. the rockbasses maple/rosewood deal. too bad the body wood is weak and the pickups are wussy.

i personally would go with the corvette rockbass over either of 'em. the active pickups make a BIG difference. it actually sounded like a warwick.

7. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I've got a Streamer Standard. Real Warwick, like Jason said. Not very versatile, but if you like the sound, its a pretty good bass. Don't pay over $600 for one, though. And DO NOT get the single pickup model, it sucks IMO. The 2 pickup model is what I have, and it gives a nice, full sound.

EDIT: The closest thing I can equate the sound to is that of a Warwick Pro-M. I played one at a GC, and I nearly said "This is my sound" out loud.

8. well, THAT goes without sayin'!

i found the streamer standard really lacking in the highs, not much clarity. good growl, though.

9. Phatitude

Phatitude

Jul 23, 2002
    personally, i've had bad experiances with the LTD... if i were u, i'd go with a Infinity LTD 2000... it's a sweet hollowbody with amazing sound...

10. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    There is a world of difference between the Streamer Standard and the Rock Bass series (any model.) The Streamer Standard, while it was Warwick's budget model, was made in Germany, has the same neck wood as other newer Warwicks, and, when set up good, feels like a Warwick. The only time I played a Streamer Standard through and amp, it sounded pretty good...much better then I expected. Comparing a Streamer Standard to an upper line Warwick with active MEC electronics, is sort of like comparing a stock Fender P or J to a Pedulla Rapture (something in about the same price range as one of the bolt on active Warwicks) and that is like and apples to oranges comparison.

On the other hand, the Rock Bass series is made in China, has traditional woods including a maple neck. Though I haven't played one through and amp, if the one I played is an example, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who wants a "Warwick". True, they are supposed to have MEC pickups and guts, but they don't feel anything like a Warwick. The best way I can describe the one I played is that it played like a middle line Samick or Cort at best. Being one who LOVES Warwicks, I was extremely dissapointed.