Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Streamer Stg II Vs. Thumb NT.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by popinfresh, Jul 11, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, I got pointed towards a guy selling an '89 Thumb for a good price. I e-mailed him, but he didn't e-mail back yet, going by his e-mail, he's from the defence force, so that may be something to do with it.

I was going to take it, as it's a cheap price, but if I can't get it or onto the guy, i'm going to be looking at getting another one, or a Stage II Streamer. Both will be bought used, and pre '98 hopefully (for the thinner neck).

Now, I want that nice warwick growl that I know they can both get (Thumb more-so though?) but there's a couple other factors i'd like to put in.
    My band is described pretty much as hard psychedelic rock, which i'd like a nice bit of growl for, and a cutting midrange/top end to really cut through, also with deep bass.
    Apart from the band, I'm into anything from hip-hop to jazz/latin, hard rock, heavy/metal, psych etc and a fair few solo artists. So which of the two basses is the most versatile? Also, can they get close to either ones tone, or are they too different?

Feel wise, i'm after something that's low action and easy to fret and play, thin neck and a nice string spacing, not too small, not too big.

Which of these two basses is going to suit me and all those styles better?

Cheers.

2. I can't speak for the Streamer, But I own a thumb 5 NT. I've also heard the thumb has more growl than the streamer? Personally I don't think there is a huge difference between the two. mostly, I think its a body preferance thing. the streamer has better balance compared to the thumb and can be worn slightly lower down. the thumb has a bit of a neck dive issue unless you wear it pretty high up? the thumb also has nice pickup positioning (angled close to the bridge) if you are a slapper, while the streamer has a more conventional jazz type pickup layout.

I think you will have to try the two out, but I think that they can probably get alot of the same sounds, with the thumb being slightly more growly and the streamer having a slightly smoother overall tone.

but thats just my opinion...

3. I also find the warwick standard 5 string spacing is pretty tight, you may want to check out the wider neck...

4. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Funny, I couldn't decide either, so I bought both...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought the ThumbNT first (97 model) and loved it. I always had a thing for the streamer though, so I just saved up again and bought a new one. I could never find a used SSII-5 used in good enough condition. But as for the sound, the Thumb IS in fact more growly than the Streamer. The Streamer's sound is a lil more rounded out than the Thumb. The Thumb is %110 in your face! Trust me, you should have NO problems at all cuttin through with either. Good luck with your decision, Warwicks are the poop...

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    How I envy you...TWO Warwicks!? I'd kill for one!

6. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Thanks for the props, I'm currently saving up for #3. I want the 2004 FNA Corvette LTD, it's so sweet!

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I love Corvettes, but then, my favourite Warwick basses changes with the weather, I love them all, from Dolphins to Thumbs, I'd have any one of them!

Apart from the katanas and Strykers. :rollno:

8. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I have a Thumb 5 Bolt, which is sweet in every way except that it is so damn bright and zingy with the Black Label steels it comes with.

I don't know if it's just me and my taste or what. I am going to try some different strings to see if I can make it more versatile that way.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ahh, you bugger :p

Do you mind comparing a little more? Does the SSII still have good growl? Which is easier and faster/thinner to play? The Thumb (Been that the neck is wenge, yes?). What's the sound differences? Do they have the same electronics, if not, what's the difference?

Anything like that, cheers!

10. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Well, the Streamer is an 04 so it has the 9V pre-amp. The Thumb is an older model, so it has the 18V pre-amp. I had to turn it down a little, cause I would get crazy feedback if I stood too close to the amp. The streamer is still growly as hell, just not as growly as the thumb. Some people feel they don't sound too different, but I know a Thumb bass when I hear it. Same goes for the SSII, it has a very distinct sound as well. The slimmer neck on the thumb took a little gettin used to, cause I don't have the smallest hands. Because of this, I find the Streamer slightly easier to play. But for "normal sized" hands, I think the Thumb would feel better. The Wenge in the neck does make a difference in the growl and sustain. The Thumb's punch is unmatched in my opinion. They are both great basses, I think you may just have to play both to decide. Or maybe you won't be able to, and you'll end up with both like I did. But I couldn't put either of them down when I played them. Try to play one with decent strings, the ones in GC have been "fingered" by everyone....:D

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Awesome. Well i'm looking around for a used Streamer Stg II now, pre Ovangkol. It seems to not be an easy thing :p

This guy still hasn't replied about the thumb, so i'll have a look around for them as well. I'm not exactly in a rush though, i've got to sell my two SWR cabs to pay a debt, then sell my MM sterling for the bass, so we'll see what happens.

Anyone else want to add?