1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Streamer $$ vs Corvette $$

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by MTBassMania, Mar 8, 2013.

1. MTBassMania

MTBassMania Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me some differences between the two, thinking about getting one or the other. Bolt-on, not NT. 5-string.

I currently play a 5-string Rockbass Corvette $$ with DR's Marcus Miller strings (its been my primary learning bass, with a couple cheaper starter basses), and I love the sound the pick-ups provide. I've read that, because of the pick-up position, you can't get very good bright sound. But I love that low and mid growl. I also like the different ways you can configure the pick-ups. On my Rockbass, push the knobs in for beef and punch, pull 'em out for warmth and color - adjust volume to taste.

I mostly play finger funk'n'jazz (funky rhythm in the pocket, semi melodic for tension and drive thru changes), so I'm looking for a bass that'd be good for that, but that I can mess with the settings for others styles (blues, rock, country mostly - its what most bands play in my area, and it'd be good to get some paying gigs). As far as I can tell, the only difference between the Streamer and Corvette is the maple vs ovangkol neck, their weight and body shape. But how about difference in tone?

Any info would be great! This is my first post, and I'll post an "about me" at some point, but right now I'm shy on time and really curious about these two. Really want to get one!

2. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    MTBassMania - Thanks for your question. The 2013 Streamer $$ and Corvette $$ both come with a wenge neck and wenge fingerboard, and a US Swamp Ash body. They share the same electronics package, so yes - the main difference is the body shape. Also, the Streamer body is contoured while the Corvette body is flat. Tonally they are very similar, and it really comes down to what is more comfortable for you. I hope this helps. Thanks!

3. MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    Warwick Official - Thanks for the input! Maybe I'll shoot for a Streamer. Can you tell me about what angle the Streamer hangs at? On my rock bass, the natural hang was a little too flat for me (maybe about 30 degrees from horizontal), so I had a strap nut put in at the base of the neck so I can let the body hang about at my hips, while the tuners are about level with the top of my head (maybe 45+ degree angle). It makes less sharp angles for my beaten up wrists. Just a little curious. It's a long way from being a deal breaker. I'd just have a nut put in the Streamer, as well. Thanks again!

4. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I happen to own a Corvette $$ 5 string and a Streamer $$ 4 fretless. I find I prefer the ovankol neck over maple although Warwick does a fantastic job on their three piece maple necks. I also found the Streamer is a lot lighter with no neck dive at all. They have very similar tone but I think the thicker ovankol neck adds some heft to the overall tone.

The Streamer body shape is a lot more comfortable sitting against your body with its curved back but the Corvette feels pretty good as well. Being a flat back, it just doesn't sit as nicely on the strap.

I really like the look of these bases. The swamp ash bodies are gorgeous and I love the pickups. Lots of tonal options and the bridge pickup sounds just killer on its own.

5. MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    Crabby - Thanks! Appreciate the input. Think I'm gonna shoot for a Streamer. For fretless, I'd like to get an Alien - I like that between double bass and electric bass tone. Plus I don't have to rent a Uhaul to move my acoustic around (i.e. - double basses are HUGE).

Also, where does your bass hang, Crabby? I was thinking with a Streamer 4 string, that it'd be all about slap - meaning the body is riding high. But then I saw fretless and thought, maybe not.

My wrists are pretty smashed - skiing/snowboarding accidents, forestry and construction labor; punching inanimate objects, idiots that don't know their limits, etc. Ha. I have no dreams of being a rock star, I just love to play. Groove, ya know? Anyway... I like the body low so my wrists don't have a lot of angle for finger-style. Anyone have any input for set-up to help with wrist angles? Just curious bout what y'all think - not a lot of "true bassists" where I live, just a lot of "worst guitarist of the bunch" type, that don't really have a lot of rhythm and groove.

But, yeah, Crabby... Seeing as that you own a model of both the basses that I am interested in, I'm really interested in how they hang, with their natural set-up and hardware - is one more angled than the other, both about the same, etc.?

And what is "neck dive:: Dead zones, low sustain zones, fret buzz, etc? I like low action and relatively soft playing.

Thanks again!

6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    "Neck dive" is when the bass has poor balance on the strap, resulting in the neck wanting to drop from where you are keeping it. A lot of times that means that your left hand is holding the instrument in the position that you want it in addition to its regular duties.

For me, I have not found that much neck dive in either body shapes (I have a Streamer LX 6 and Corvette $$ fretless 6), but I actually prefer a fairly horizontal playing position. I keep the basses fairly high up and use the Gruv Gear DuoStrap for both of these, which helps a lot in alleviating any neck dive that may be there.

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Neither my Corvette or Streamer have any neck dive issues. There is a little with my Thumb 4 but its not an issue for me. As far as how the bases hang against your body, I wear mine in a fairly "middle of the road" height. Not too high or slung down low. The Streamer, as mentioned is just so comfortable that it is a no brainer if you are looking for a very comfortable bass.

8. MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013

Oh, okay. I added some neck dive to my Rockbass when I put a strap nut on the underside of the neck near the 24th fret. I keep it balanced with the top horn resting on my growing buddha belly. Ha.

Here's a link to a site with a classic picture of James Jamerson, that I'm sure many have seen:
    http://101basses.com/james-jamerson-one-of-the-most-influential-bassist-of-the-1960s/

Now, Jamerson looks like he's holding that P-bass up. I like my bass to hang, naturally, at about that angle. I think mine sits a bit higher up, though. Again, it keeps my wrists from being at sharp angles, throughout the range of the fretboard.

I've never found a bass that, with the strap nut on the top horn, it hangs at that angle, let alone one whose sound I like.

I use a 6" piece of parachute chord so I don't have a fat piece of strap on my fretboard - I don't even notice its there. For the most part, it sits just fine at the angle I want. If I bend over, though, then the neck heads right for the floor. With the original nut, though, I have to hold the neck up with my left hand to keep it more upright. :meh: