1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Streamer $$ vs Warwick Streamer Stage 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matti777, Jul 2, 2019.

1. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    A question for the Warwick buffs.......I've been hankering for a Warwick STREAMER 4 Stage 2 for some time and the time is now. There is nothing used available around except a very expensive newer one on the coast. However there is a local German Streamer $$ for sale which sounds and feels very nice but has flats on it right now. So the question is.....does a $$ sound the same as a Stage 2 except with more tonal variety?

2. matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    $$ is bolt on of course

3. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to play a $$, but I can tell you that my SSII is incredibly distinctive. It's easily recognizable. And the best bass I've ever laid my hands on by far. Can a $$ cop that tone? Maybe, but I doubt it; SSIIs are pretty special.

Pizza1988 likes this.
  4. Overall, the $$ will have a bit more variety in tonal options. I wouldn't say they sound the "same" but they're not that far apart. The SSII and Thumb are more similar. I personally would like the SSII over any $$. I'd wait for one to pop up or save for a new one before getting the $$, unless you decide you love that more instead.

I have no idea who would put flats on a $$, let alone a Warwick IMHO.

matti777 likes this.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I’ve tried several $$ Warwicks, and owned a few SSII’s. The $$ basses are nice, but the SSII’s are amazing basses. If a Stage II is what you want, save up and get one. You won’t be sorry.

matti777 likes this.
  6. matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Thanks for the great replies. The Stage 2 is a few years old and is over $3k USD by the time it gets here. Its not cheap but then again not a lot more than many other used higher end basses. I'm just not sure I need to spend that much to get what I want. Buying a bass without having it in your hands is always difficult.

7. John Stephen

John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Why? What is the issue with putting flats on a Warwick?

(I should add, I recently played a Standard Streamer in my local GC and the thing played like butter. I almost bought it right then and there.)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  8. Honestly, there is no issue with it lol but in my opinion a Warwick should sound growly, bright, and aggressive. The tone Warwicks are known for come through best with rounds. Especially the $$. So it interests me why someone would spend the money on a Warwick if they want a warm mellow tone. Not knocking anyone who would. I'm sure flats would sound ok on an Infinity or a fretless Thumb SC. To me, it is like tranquilizing the beast, like putting a quiet exhaust on an expensive muscle car. To each their own. :bassist:

The streamer standard is a nice bass, I own a 5 string one. They are pretty neutral so flats could work on these as well (IDK I never tried), but also exhibit a growl that cuts through with rounds. If it was the Rockbass version, they are very good quality for the price. :thumbsup:

9. John Stephen

John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the clarification, Pizza. Glad to hear you like your Streamer Standard 5er. The one I tried was the Rockbass version. I'm a short-scale player for various physical reasons, but that sure was a nice, comfortable bass when I tried it in the shop.

10. EmuBass

EmuBass

Jan 24, 2018
    Vienna, Austria
    I assume that the $$ has several options in the electronics for putting it in serial /parallel or humbucking/single-coil as well as active/passive? I'd prefer the PJ configuration like on my Streamer stage I compared to the $$ with various electronics options on my RB Corvette.

11. PaulS

PaulS

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    EmuBass likes this.