Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick string problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pharmecopia, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    okay, my buddy gard told me that for my warwick thumb, i would need a tapered B string to fit the bridge on my bass. i just re-stringed my bass, using warwick red label strings (.45 - .135), and the .135 doesnt seem to be tapered compared to the ones that came on my bass. he said that anything over .105 would need to be tapered, but my .135 fits and its not tapered...can i buy basic DR (.45 - .130 or .45 - .135) strings now? or would i absolutely have to use a tapered B. any help would be great.

2. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Do you have the plastic or the brass nut? I have the brass nut and put both the d'addario and Ernie Ball super slinkys and they fit fine.

3. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    pretty sure its brass.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Is it black or a shiny brass color?

5. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Most string sets are open to where you can pull the end of the b string out and see if it will fit in the nut anyway, I am sure your music store will oblige.

6. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    its black, but its definatley not plastic, it feels like metal, and its totally different from my MIM jazz witch has a plastic nut. if it doesnt split or anything ill just go with un-tapered. GARD, AWNSER ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    step 1. replace your plastic nut (it's plastic/graphite) with a brass one. trust me.

step 2. i think anything over .125 won't work unless they're tapered. i use .125 non tapered and while i do have to jam the end in there with a screwdriver, it works ;)

8. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    if the nut cracks, i will replace it. ill keep you posted on whats going on, its a .135, and seems to be working fine, no damage to the bridge or not, and it fits in the bridge perfectley.

9. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    another thing, the strings are warwick factory strings, why would they make strings that dont fit their basses?

10. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    okay, heres some pics. sorry for the crap quality, all i had was a webcam, hehe.

[​IMG]

11. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    heres one of the bridge.

[​IMG]

12. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
  13. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
  14. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    and a body shot, the last one.

[​IMG]

15. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    so my bass seems to be fine, what do you all think?

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The bridge picture is way to blurry to see what's going on.

17. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002