1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

warwick strings differences

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brisonic, Apr 2, 2006.

1. brisonic

brisonic

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    I see they make 3 versions, but the outlined description isn't saying much to me. It really looks like marketing drivel. Anyone have a more real world difference description?

2. txpitdog

txpitdog

Jan 1, 2006
    I haven't ever used them, but I believe the black label come standard on Warwick basses. I've read opinions on Musicians Friend, and most people felt the black ones were the only ones worth using. I don't think there is much if any difference in tone between the three strings.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Red and the others are pretty crap. Black are the only ones worth using. Red are 'coated' like Elixirs IIRC.

4. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    I played the black ones over a time and they are OK. Nothing special, but OK. I don't recommend the yellow or the red ones. I tried them and they are made very cheaply and lost they're sound quite fast.

5. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    The Red's are cheap and provide a fairly decent tone.

The Yellow's I have not used.

The Black's are basically a better version of the Red's with more midrange.

All In all if looking for a dcent string with money not being too much of an issue go with the blacks.

If looking for a cheap string that can get the job done, go with the Red's. Also keep in mind that while the Black's and Red's are stainless steel, the Yellow's are nickel coated.

6. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I'm no string expert, but I've tried black and yellow, and to be honest I really like the sound of the black label strings. Yellow were ok, seemed to die quickly though.

7. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    They are aiight. The issue with warwicks and five strings are that the strings need to be TAPERED or something where a lot of B strings from other companies wont fit in the alloted slot. You have to watch out for that because I got burned a couple times on this, you have to like put the B string in a vice and totally smush the part that should be tapered just so it will barely fit..