1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick strings - Red, Yellow or Black

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Id-dis, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Id-dis

Id-dis

Feb 21, 2016
    I recently put a set of Warwick Reds on my 5 string fretless and it now has a nice fat growl and a twang I'm sure Pastorious would have loved, thing is it was a pretty growly bass to start with, but the string combo seems to be that bit better.

Now I'm thinking to try a set on one of my other 5 string basses and I would love to get something that has a tight beefy sound with some nice, controllable punch. Something like this sound without the effects -

Should I stick with the Reds or go with the Yellows or Blacks?

2. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    I have used Warwick red and black label strings in the past and while they sound good, i found that they die rather quickly.
    For that Billy Cobham clip bass sound I wouldn't recommend red or black label, I think they would be too zingy. You can try the yellow label, those are nickel plated and sound mellower than the stainless steel ones?
    And welcome to TB! :thumbsup: