1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick ($$/Taranis) question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VLADOi, Sep 20, 2008.

1. VLADOi

VLADOi

Aug 29, 2006
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    I'm considering getting one at the moment, as I can finally afford the price tag (yay!).
    Does anybody know what is the actual difference between these two? Apart from the pickup configuration, of course. Taranis is advertised as being stock-strung as BEAD. Is there any actual structural difference - materials used, different parts or whatever?
    I have no doubt that if I put BEAD on the double buck, it will work just as well, just wondering if anybody has actual hands-on experence with both models.
    Seems a bit like advertising BS to me - VE AR BRINGN JOO THE BREWTALZ METALLL BASSZSZS YAY! - but since I can't really test drive any of them locally, I can't really be sure.

Any input appreciated,

Thanks

Edit: also, what is the string spacing for the 5 string models, anybody? the 4s are apparently 19mm which is exactly what I'm looking for, but for some reason I can't seem to find any info on the fivers. If they had the same string spacing it would be great.

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Spacing for the 5 strings is 16.5mm unless its a wide neck.

The only difference between the Taranis and a Corvette with similiar electronics/wood combination would be how the nut is cut. The slots are slightly widened to allow for the thicker strings.

3. ciubz

ciubz

Jan 30, 2005
    Played a Warwick taranis yesterday at our lockal warwick dealer.

For the record i would like to say that i own a 4 string Warwick corvette fna Jazzman.

Ok, taranis is a passive bass guitar (no preamp, passive pickups) it has ash body, ovangkol neck. Has steel reinforcement rods in the upper part of the neck(i mean near the body). The pickup configuration is the same as on my Fna Jazz-Man, MM/J.

Corvette $$ has a ash body, Maple neck, two MM passive pickups, active 2 band preamp.

Corvette standart is a bubinga body ovangkol neck, JJ passive pickups, active 2band preamp.

Corvette Fna Jazz-Man has a ash body, thick plamed maple top, ovangkol neck, MM/J passive pickups. 3 band active preamp

Taranis is almost a passive FNA Jazz-Man

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    One minor correction - the $$ has an ovangkol neck.

5. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    the maple neck $$ is the neckthrough.

I'll be frank though. I wasn't that impressed with the B on the $$ bolt on I had. Great bass as a four string (tried one, decided to get the 5), but the B imo is too boomy. I'd consider a Warwick Standard bubinga active instead for low tuning metal.

6. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    One thing not mentioned so far: the Taranis has a finish you're probably paying extra for.

They sandblast the body to knock some of the softer part of the grain away, which makes it look a little different than a standard Corvette.

The single coil pickup on the Taranis is different than the one on the FNA, I think. The Taranis has one pole piece for each string, while the FNA has two.

The "br00tal mEtUl bass" is the Vampyre Dark Lord, by the way.

7. I'm digging up this ancient thread!
    How will the Taranis be in a drop C tuning (CGCF)? Also, I know they are totally different, but how will it sound compared to an active EMG 35p/35J setup? Thats what my SSD has and it sounds great, I just love the look and feel of Warwicks.
    Also, what is the current going price for these, used? (if I'm not allowed to ask that here just tell me and I will edit it out)
    Thanks!!