1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Taranis

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sammyp, May 17, 2011.

1. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    so the local music retailer pulls a Warwick Taranis out of the back of the stock room the other day ...it's been back there for a couple years, ordered in for someone who decided against it ....they put $ 999. CAD on it ....i couldn't resist ...they gave me top dollar on my SR 500 trade in ..the rest went on account.

i can't beleive what well thought out and crafted beasts warwicks are ...the neck is chunkier than i would normally go for with small hands but i love it ....

freakin nuts that you can adjust up or down with an alan key is BRILLIANT not to mention free strap locks, owners kit and a beautiful gig bag ....i very happy!

strung it normal E A D G ....

2. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    pretty much a corvette $$ with bigger nut??

3. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    ... pics?

4. more like a FNA jazzman i think. it has a single coil neck pickup.

5. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    Very nice score! If it has the same electronics as my jazzman you are in for tonal buffet of awesomeness.

6. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I believe the Taranis is passive. I've heard good things, but haven't heard one personally. So...hoe about a sound clip?

7. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    Amazing score! Congrats man. The Taranis is the first Warwick I played in person, and from there the gas never died until i got my 5-string Streamer $$.
    Lets see some pics!

8. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    yeah they say it is the same as a jazzman ....it is hum in bridge and single in the neck ....i really don't think the nut is any different ...the E - G strings slot fine and i could see that the B - D set was maybe a tad big for the nut....i think the Taranis B-D was pretty much just a marketing strategy.....haven't got at it with the digital camera yet but it is the black finish ...

9. wait so it doesn't even comfortably fit the B-D string sizes?? i thought that was like the whole point of the taranis! i mean there's no doubt it's still a great bass, but to me that's just kinda retarded :rollno:

10. The sandblasted nirvana black finish and the B-D stringing was the allure of the Taranis

Still it is one of the prettier Warwicks I have seen. I have never played one so I have no idea how it sounds.

11. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    although i can't say for sure, i really doubt the nut is any different from a std 4 warwick

12. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    The sand-blasted finish makes it quite special. And YES, more like a FNA. I owned a Taranis. VERY mid strong. PERFECT for Metal and cutting through 2 blazing guitars. I tried EADG and it sounded very weird. I couldn't dial in a good tone.
    This is NOT just a corvette with thicker strings. I guarantee that. The Taranis has it's place, apart from most basses I've played. The BEAD strings fit the nut perfectly.
    Food for thought!!