Warwick thumb 2006 LTD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Anyone seen this thing - its hot! :eek:

Thumb Bolt-on Ldt 2006 [​IMG] For 2006 we are offering a very special Limited edition (250 units worldwide). A Thumb Bolt-on with a brand new pick up combination. At the Bridge an MEC TJ pickup offers an exact definition of sound, and the P-style pickup by the same manufacturer drives at the neck. This, together with 3-band electronic means the bass player gets as yet unknown possibilities of sound. The Thumb Bolt-on LTD 2006 'Dirty Blonde' is also available as a 5-string version, here the new P-style pickup for 5-string versions by MEC is installed.

The look is dominated by the unique top of birdseye poplar and the birdseye poplar veneered matching headstock. The stained satin finish gives the eye-catching grain a natural depth. The shaping of the US Swamp Ash body guarantees optimal comfort while playing. The Bolt-on neck of flamed Maple is equipped with a fingerboard of ebony in with 'gull' inlays.

• • Birdseye Poplar top
      • Swamp Ash back
      • Flamed Maple neck
      • Ebony fingerboard
      • “Gull” Inlays
      • Birdseye Poplar veneer headstock overlay
      • “Dirty Blond” stained satin finish
      • Black hardware
      • MEC active P/TJ pickups
      • MEC 3-band electronics
      • 4- or 5-string version, limited to 250 pieces

Comes with "Premium Line Plus" Rockbag for bassguitar

2. I've seen a pic of this in another post. But YES, this thing is sharp. From what I've seen, soo is the price.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Those pics look better than ones i saw previously, not bad.
  4. looks good, but when i think warwick, thats not what comes to mind.....still, a nice bass
  5. basste

Oct 8, 2003
  6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It's interesting, but I find the woods a little ugly...it doesn't look "thumby" enough for me, and the Thumb bass itself is something I'm fast falling out of love with.
  7. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I just think the top wood looks quite frankly ugly. Pity because the electronics combo and the rest of the spec looks pretty interesting.
  8. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If I had that dough I would snatch one of those up so quick. I love the selection of woods and that unique pickup config.
  9. slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    i like the old dark wood of thumbs! this new thing looks wierd :eyebrow: although i'm sure it plays amazing.
  10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Maybe its just me but wouldnt the Thumb Bolt-ons look better with the upper cut away meeting the neck a little bit lower making the upper horn to look longer and both cut aways more even????
    somehow like this:
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Eh i tihnk thats part of the reason it appeals to lots of people.
  12. TheRam

TheRam I spend more time on TB than I do practicing ...

Feb 14, 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    I want to revive this thread! :hyper:
    Does anyone here own this now?

I recently went to check out some new basses a local collector just brought in when I stumbled across his new Dirty Blonde. Now I just cant stop thinking about it. I only played it for a little while because I was checking out a few other basses. Somehow this bass really left an impact.

From the short time I played this bass I noticed a few things. Its WAAAY lighter than normal Warwicks because of the wood choice. This makes the sound naturally a bit brighter. I'm not sure if I like it that way so I'll go over to check it out again next week.

I used to own a regular Thumb I absolutely loved it in a rock setting but I found it didn't do too well elsewhere because the sound was too heavy so I sold it and have lived to regret it.

For those who own one of these babies please tell me:
    How does it sound compared to other basses you own?
    How does it sound compared to regular thumbs?
    Do you feel that its 'too' light compared to your other Warwicks?
  13. TheRam

Feb 14, 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  14. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I don't own one but I've always wanted one. :D

PS - Just to help your Gas along, if you go to the German Warwick site (www.warwick.de) and go to the Warwick->Downloads section, there is a sweet LTD 2006 wallpaper for your computer!
  15. I own one of these.

I was never particularly taken by its looks and never bothered to even pick it up at my local music store, which had two in stock. It was only once one was placed in my hands by the salesperson that I tried it out. All I can say is that after a few minutes, I knew I just had to have it! I find it an extraordinary instrument, both in terms of sound and playability.:)

It is a bit brighter than the standard thumb, but is still capable of some serious bottom-end sounds by panning towards the neck pup and cutting the tops. I like the variety of sounds ALL of which are useable, and all of which have the characteristic Warwick growl. It is, indeed a surprisingly light instrument, as well as having a much slimmer neck than most Warwicks.:bassist:

If you're into Warwick sound, you MUST try this bass, though it does sound a bit different to others in the stable. In fact, if your'e NOT normally into Warwicks, you should try this one out. You might just be sold as I was.

I love mine and can't see myself ever parting with it. I use it for rock and jazz, finding it particularly good for soloing. It also slaps like a monster.

BTW, I notice that the one advertised in this thread comes with a rock bag. I think whoever is selling that one is trying to pull a fast one. :ninja: Mine came with a hardshell Warwick Rockcase as well as a fully equipped accessory package including straplocks and a spare set of Warwick coated strings.
  16. Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I like the pattern of the colour. It has a mystery about it. Kinda reminds of that girl on the Blind Faith album.
  17. TheRam

Feb 14, 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Gee ... thanks man ... :rollno:
    Now its on my desktop and it haunts me constantly ...
  18. TheRam

Feb 14, 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Thanks for the great review!

I get the impression from the time I played it and from your review that this instrument is another beast all together. The only think that makes it a Thumb is the design. Is that a fair assessment?

Can I assume that it has more versatility than a regular Thumb in that, because of the pickup configuration, and the Swamp Ash body it can cater to Jazz, Funk and less rock oriented styles?
  19. Yeah, baby! If I had the $$'s, it would be SO mine!:bassist: