Warwick thumb 4 bo 1998 wenge neck, SOS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bartomen, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Bartomen

Bartomen

Sep 12, 2020
    I am buying a 1998 thumb with all wenge neck, but can't identify, whether the body is bubinga or ovangkol. Looks very redish orange like bubinga but..... Probably not. Please, experts, your opinion would help. Thx, best regards, Alex. The pics follow.. warwick-thumb-bolt-on-1998-wenge-neck-slika-47884270.jpg warwick-thumb-bolt-on-1998-wenge-neck-slika-47884270.jpg warwick-thumb-bolt-on-1998-wenge-neck-slika-47884270.jpg warwick-thumb-bolt-on-1998-wenge-neck-slika-47884268.jpg warwick-thumb-bolt-on-1998-wenge-neck-slika-47884262.jpg

DISCOSTUVW likes this.
  2. Welcome to TB!

That looks like Ovangkol to me. My 99 Thumb BO5 looks very similar to that last picture. I think the "red/orange" look in the other pics is from lighting.

Run the serial number here and see if it gives you the materials:
    en/Framus---Support--Serial-Number.html

3. Bartomen

Bartomen

Sep 12, 2020
    Ok, thx, I will chech the serial no..

4. Bartomen

Bartomen

Sep 12, 2020
    I have tried with a support for a serial number from their page, but supported only for the after 2000 made models. Thx anyway...

5. Nothing definitive, but this is mine. Body is Ovangkol
    Thumb2.jpg

DISCOSTUVW and Helix like this.
  6. Bartomen

Bartomen

Sep 12, 2020
    Yes, the ovangkol is darker and less lively in color and has those tiger blacish stripes...

7. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The look of ovangkol can vary. Some pieces have the characteristics that you describe but some look much more like the wood on the bass in your photos. My ovangkol thumb was very chocolatey looking and totally lacked the stripes that are typical of much ovangkol.

Bartomen likes this.
  8. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Looks like ovangkol to me. I have a 98 as well and it’s ovangkol

it doesn’t show in pictures very well, but it has a good red tint to it.

68782736-D6C1-432A-8314-3F0A4B6CAA31.jpeg

9. Bartomen

Bartomen

Sep 12, 2020
    Yes, so far we all agree it is 99% ovangkol. Do you feel a 900€ a good price to buy it? It's in good condition...

10. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    That sounds pretty fair to me. Have you played it? If you have and you like it then I would go ahead. One thing I will mention is that you should try it strapped on and standing. Thumbs have peculiar ergonomics and they tend towards neck-heaviness. They can also be quite heavy.

Bassdirty likes this.
  11. Bartomen

Bartomen

Sep 12, 2020
    Yes, I know it all, neck diving, but I am a descent bas player, so this will be no issue. Here in Europe new one still costs 1900€ at thomann.

bass12 likes this.
  12. Bartomen

Bartomen

Sep 12, 2020
    Plus, it has a whole wenge neck, not just the fretboard, which was last year of such production, besides custom order of course. I noticed that it counts a bit...

bass12 likes this.
  13. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yes, the wenge-necked Thumbs seem to be the more sought after of the two offerings (wenge vs ovangkol). Also, the neck profile changed post-wenge (I’m not sure in which year) and many of the ovangkol necks have what is often described as a “baseball bat” profile (which a lot of people don’t like as much as the older, less chunky profile).

moon-bass likes this.
  14. PaulS

PaulS

Jan 19, 2016
    New Jersey
    Email them at [email protected] with the serial number and HPW will get back to you with info on it.

Taustin Powers and Helix like this.
  15. moon-bass

moon-bass Up to the moon and back Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    The neck profile changed mid 1998 (I have read June 1998, but don't know for sure). I've owned quite a few from before 1998 and after and there is a definite difference. 900 Euros is a really good price for a Thumb from that era. I'd consider buying it if I didn't have one on the way!

bass12 likes this.
  16. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    That bass also has the recessed strap locks and, I’m guessing, a brass nut?

moon-bass likes this.
  17. Bartomen

Bartomen

Sep 12, 2020
    I am going to buy it no matter what. Carpe diem.... It is in top condition, as all warwicks are, no matter age.... Will report the deal... Thx for support to all of you...

Mili, BOOG and moon-bass like this.
  18. Bartomen

Bartomen

Sep 12, 2020
    Yes, both I believe, I will report in the evening. Today is the deal.... on the border between Slovenia and Croatia because of covid problems....

bass12 likes this.
  19. moon-bass

moon-bass Up to the moon and back Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Good luck! I hope you love the bass :)

20. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Cool, the brass nut is a bonus (the next generation of Just-A-Nuts break really easily). Good luck and let us know!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021