Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb 4 Bolt On-Volume Pot

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by biergott, Mar 8, 2004.

1. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    Hello,

The Volume pot on my Warwick Thumb 4 Bolt on went out at practice Friday night.

Now I only get sound if I play with it in the pulled out position (I believe this bypasses the on board EQ knobs).

I can play with it as is, but prefer to adjust on the fly for different tones.

I check all of the wires and they are still all connected.

Is this soemthing I can buy at guitar center, or do I need to special order it from Warwick....

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    where did ya buy it from?????

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Knobs like that are very common and GC should be able to order something that will work (from All Parts, etc.) if they don't already have it in stock.. All you need to do is make sure all the values are the same.

4. biergott

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I bought the bass from Guitar Center.

As far as values, the guitar came with no manual or anything (a Guitar Center tradition!!!), so if anyone ones this info, I'd be eternally grateful!!!!

I'd like to go by there at lunch and see what they have.

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Go to the Warwick website.. IIRC you can download manuals from there.. If all else fails just open the control cavity and look at the back of the pot.. The values should be on there.

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here ya go..

[​IMG]

7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Correct... aaannnnndddd GC has a lifetime warranty on all New Gear... in addition, I think Warwick's pots only fit Warwick parts... but I could be wrong. GC should fix it for you although it might take a day or two, longer if they have to order parts... point being re warranty... it should be free!!!!!!

good luck

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm sure you've thought of this, but did you try changing the battery? If you're saying it only works in passive mode, and you see all wires are connected, then chances are the pot itself is ok and you have some problem with the electronics.

Do you have active pickups? If you have active pickups, and you're still getting a similar output level in eq bypass, then your battery is fine.
    If the battery is fine, then your preamp may have fried. If it's stock MEC, it does happen. Happened to me, MadSubwoofer and a good few others.

9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Hmmmm..... battery...... duh....... did you check it??????
    just didn't come to mind..... :smug:

10. biergott

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    Yeah,

I checked the battery....it was fine. I also, jst in case, replaced it with a new one. I had the same results.

Does this then sound like more than a pot problem. (that didn't come out right :p )

I emailed Warwick and they can ship me the part (at a charge). Guitar Center was out of the parts and said they would need 2-3 weeks! I can't live with this until then, so I will bite the bullet and spend the dough.

However, I'd hate to buy a part I don't need.

11. When you move the cable do you get any static or sound??? when you have it on active mode???(down) if yes its your jack(input) the same thing happened to my corvette FNA jazzman.

12. biergott

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I had just recently had my jack replaced, but the bass worked fine for 3-4 practices with the new jack.

I get absolutely zero sound with knob pushed down (active), but the sound is clear as a bell in passive (knob out)

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Does this thumb have active pickups? I'm going to assume so. If so, then the jack is probably fine. If the active pickups are getting power, inserting your cable is completing the circuit to get power to them. For this, the jack has to be fine.

Does the operation of the push / pull volume switch feel any different than it did previously? i.e. does it click as smoothly as before?

On the assumption that you have active pickups, I'm thinking it's the preamp that has the problem.

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Off to Setup...