1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Thumb 4 Bolt

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Oct 3, 2008.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Anyonoe have a sense for what the fair market price is for a 1998 Warwick Thumb bolt on. It has the wenge neck (I believe) with another wood running through the center.

I hear folks like these older models with the wenge neck. Is that true? Is that reflected in the price?

2. I would not own a non-wenge Warwick. IME, every WW bass built after 98/99 that I've seen/felt suffered from sloppy finishing(incomplete sanding as well as inferior, appearance-wise, woods). Beyond that, given proper construction, I'd still likely prefer wenge, strictly for personal preference(it feels better to me). I firmly believe the ovangkol necks are thicker(which doesn't mean better or worse, I just prefer thinner)
    All that said, Thumb BO's seem to go for just under $1,000 to maybe $1,500 or so IME. I got my 98 FNA for $895 shipped, which was a good deal; Thumbs usually get a bit more than Vettes or FNAs.
    What do you mean by 'another wood running through the center'?

3. I prefer the new necks to the old for sure.
    In actuality I find it a bit misleading to think because they changed thier neck material they are more sloppily built.
    I have 2 post-99 warwicks and I will EASILY compare them to ANY pre-99.
    To make sure the new bases sounded the same it's true that the new Warwicks have a tad bit thicker necks than they did originally.. and yes that does change thier overall playability and people who liked the pre-99 necks naturally think they feel differently than the post-99's.
    I have NOT seen ANY drop in quality or sloppiness ... even thier rock-basses are decent.
    I challenge ANYONE to pick up an Infinity\Dolphin TCS SN and honestly say they aren't quality.
    The older Wicks are worth more simply because of speculative conjectures posted above.

4. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    There is another type of wood that runs through the neck lengthwise. It is not solid wenge.

5. Reread my post.
    IME=In My Experience. Bad sanding is bad sanding. I don't claim all post 98/99 Warwicks are one thing or another. I said the ones I have played were not nearly as nicely-finished as the earlier ones(that I personally have tried).
    If you prefer ovangkol to wenge, that's cool. I don't believe that changing the neck material means they're sloppily-built; these points are merely coincidental.
    I am speaking from experience, not speculating.
    :)

6. Interesting. I've not seen a bolt-on neck like this. I have seen enough variation between the 3 pieces of a neck to make it appear to be of 2 or more different species, I guess. Pics?

7. I have. The necks are as Roger described in his initial post, with a strip of ovankol or another medium-brown wood roughly an inch wide running up the center of the neck. Is that correct, Roger?
    As for how this affects the value, well, your guess is as good as mine. I doubt many people even realize there's a difference.

8. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    i had the '98 NT Thumb, not the bolt on version, i tried selling / trading here at TB for $1900 or so .. didn't get a single bite. I tried on craigslist.. didn't get a bite.. so I got about $1450 at the local shop for it in a trade.

9. Using that $1450 as a starting point, you could safely knock $500 off because of the bolt-on neck.