1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

warwick thumb 4 neck heavy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jzucker, Apr 2, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I tried a 5 and it was really awkward to play standing. Extremely neck heavy. Just wondering if this was the same case with the 4 string?

2. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    The 4s are not as bad ... none are near as comfortable as the "Streamer" series ... atleast for me.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Is a Warwick neck heavy?

Does a bear crap in the woods?
    Is the Pope Catholic?
    Does Blink 182 suck?
    Is Mike Money punk?

4. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    you get used to it its not all that bad...plus the sound you get out of it overshadows any discomfort ;)

5. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    In over 25 years of playing, I've never gotten used to a neck heavy instrument.

6. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Not all Warwicks are neck heavy. With the exception of the Thumb basses, Warwicks tend to balance fairly well.

Ted

7. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thumbs balance better when you play them chest height. The small concave body and stubby horn are such that it can fit comfortably over your chest without crushing your ribs or poking your nipple.

I prefer Corvettes because I like to play my basses at tummy height the Corvettes balance much better at tummy height than Thumbs do.

But oh, what a glorious tonal beast the Thumb is.

8. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i think the neck dive issue is over exagerated. i played a thumb bo 5 at a gc with a strap made for andre the giant(rip), and the bass was about at my waist(i normaly play between my chest and belly), and my thoughts were "oh no, im gonna hate the neck dive!", but when it was no where to be found, all my previous notions about the neck dive were dispelled.

9. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    My experience with the thumb 5 was that it was very unbalanced even work up high.

10. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    It may be exaggerated to you but it's a deal-breaker for me. That's why I was wondering about the 4...I love the tone and thought that maybe a 4 stringer would be more balanced...

11. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    im not sure, is there one around you that you can play?

12. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    I play a thumb 6 and have never had a problem with balance. I've had a corvette 4 as well and it was fine too.

Having a "good" (real bass not guitar) strap is probably half the battle with any heavy wood instrument.

13. I've owned a couple Warwicks, and played a few more, and they've all been neck-heavy. I got rid of the Corvette I owned, because there were a few things I didn't like about it in addition to the neck-dive. However, I happily put up with the neck-dive on my Thumb, because everything else about the bass makes up for it. For me, it's all about trade-offs with Warwicks. But I absolutely adore the sound and feel of my Thumb! :)

14. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    no, unfortunately. Just the aforementioned 5 string.

Regarding the strap, that's a poor workaround. I've had straps on neck heavy instruments pull my shirt up because the neck was diving so much. It's not rocket science to balance a bass. Just make the upper horn longer or reposition the strap buttons. I have no clue why some manufacturers cannot figure this out...

15. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    get a thick strap and play it high up and you'll have no problems

16. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    read my previous post about the strap pulling the shirt up. I cannot play a neck heavy instrument.

17. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Balance is overrated. I have basses that run the entire spectrum. I play long gigs and am cool with any of them. Also, balance is very much a preference. My EBMM balances "perfectly", but it doesn't mean that a bass that balances horizontal like the Thumb 5 isn't balanced properly. Each bass is different. Each player is different.

18. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    No it's not.:D

19. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Seriously, how can something important to a single individual be considered "overrated" to someone else?

That's like me saying that NOT playing Coltrane licks on the bass is overrated.

Overrated makes no sense in this context. If you want to say that neck heavy basses don't bother *YOU* that's fine but how can you tell me that it's overrated...:meh:

20. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    dude if it bothers you that much then dont get it...dont get mad at everyone else for giving an opinion...yes, there is a bit of neck dive that obviously most of us have learned to get over...if you think it is going to make you hate the bass...dont buy it....its rather simple really...if our opinions about our preferences have nothing to do with you..then why ask in the first place?