Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, Sep 14, 2000.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Just started playing again after a brief "8 year" break and just ordered a Warwick Thumb 4 Bolt On. Any stories good or bad on this bass? Any advice would be welcome.
    Thanks Much Fellow Bottom Feeders!!!

2. Firestarter_75

Firestarter_75

Jun 7, 2000
    Brief! :D Welcome back to the bass world! I have heard several good things about Warwick basses, but never actually played one.

Congradulations on your bass purchase! :)

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, I play a neck thru thumb 4 and I love it...it's da bomb...

4. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I can't wait to get it. Should have it by next Weds. Has anyone had any problems with their Warwick Thumbs?? I've heard they are neck heavy. Is this true?

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah...they're heavy, but it's nothing u can't get used to...I like the feel of it anyway. I think the Ovankol the bolt ons are made of isn't quite as dense as the bubinga either, so they' are a little bit lighter. But because of the shape of the body; the length of the upper horn, and the length of the neck make it a little neck heavy...u won't care though, I promise u that...

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh yeah...I've yet to encounter a single problem. Except for the fact that everyone wants to play it!

7. loui

loui

Sep 10, 2000
    I have a warwick thumb neck-thru 5-string. I bought it for half a year ago and then I thought it was very difficult to play. I used to play a fender precision copy but this warwick thumb was really a tecknique challenge. I'm about to get used to it now but I think that you will have to practice som tecknique but then it will become a friend for live.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey loui...ya know, one of the things I noticed about the 5 string thumbs is that since the pickups are angled so far back, you can never get a really comfortable anchor for your thumb...on the 4 and 6 string, there is a pickup right in the middle to put your thumb on...a whole lot of difference...

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have the fretless version. It is in my experience a well constructed reliable bass. Its not as neck heavy as my Stingray 5. The controls are well thought out (it has a pull switch on the volume for active bypass) The bridge p/u can honk with the treble rolled off and I have liked pan pots cos you can fine tune the tone as you go, well I do.

In the end its subjective if you like the look feel and cost buy it.