Warwick Thumb 5 and Corvette Proline 5 what's the diff anyway?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kurt M., Dec 31, 2001.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Hi guys,

You know the story getting ready to make the switch to a 5. Was gonna go with a Spector but know I'm thinking Warwick. I'm interested in a nice low growl and I think Warwick will fit. Have to find a shop to try one. But, I thought I'd get some input. I definately want 34" scale and a fairly compact bass. So, far Warwick looks good. I'm interested in the Thumb 5 bolt on and the Corvette 5 Proline. Both sell for about the same amount seem to have the same neck and the same electronics/pu's. The bodies are different. I'm wondering if the Corvette balances better than the Thumb. The only complaint I've heard about the Thumb is that it's neck heavy. This could be a major problem for me because I wear the bass low in the body and angle the neck upward. I also jump around a lot on stage. Now I know this bass is heavy but it isn't big.

Thoughs on this tone monster?
  2. hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    My local Guitar Center has a -wide- selection of Warwicks in their bass room, so many that I thought it was a little "odd" to see that many in one place. I suspect other GC's are the same.

I am very happy with the Thumb 5 BO, and the difference between it and the Corvettes seem to be mostly styling. The body is smaller on the Thumb, and that might translate into a tone difference. You'll probably be happy with either one (both have neck-dive, BTW - get a GOOD no-slip strap and some strap-locks!). It seems the resale on the Thumbs is a little better - not sure why.

3. what is the real difference between my Warwick F.N.A. 5 Jazzman and the Thumb bolt-on ??
  4. Bobb Nagel

Bobb Nagel

Aug 30, 2000
    Chicago area
    I currently own both the Thumb Bolt-on 5 and the Corvette 5 (not proline). I believe the proline is made of ash as opposed to the African tone woods used for the regular Corvette and Thumbs. My thumb is a bit neck heavy, but it's something that I got used to pretty quickly. The Corvette is balanced better, with no neck dive. Of the two, the Thumb has the most growl and the most unique sounding bass I've played. The Corvette is the heavier of the two, but I imagine the Corvette Proline may be lighter. Hope this helps.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The main difference is that you will never get the Thumb tone out of a Corvette.

The Corvette is better balanced though.
  6. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Damn thought I checked the box to email me when people reply to my thread. Guess I didn't.

Anyway, sorry guys I haven't been participating. I'm mostly after a heavy, growling tone. I play hardrock and many hardrock artists seem to be jumping on the Warwick band wagon (POD, Incubus, Nickelback).

So, the corvette balances better, the thumb has the bigger (heavier) sound. I've found a couple of used corvette standards only I can't stand chrome hardware. Also, the wood color seems a bit off (light and weird). Now, the thumb on the other hand looks very nice with the dark wood/black hardware. Definately says hardrock to me. Even the angle of the pickups -- very cool. Now these things don't matter but hey it's nice to like the way your instrument looks. One tip I got from someone on this site is to install extra light tuners. Hey when you have 5 that might make a difference.

7. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    One more thing. What can I expect to pay for a used Warwick Thumb 5 bolt on in nice condition?

8. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    dont you mean the "boom room"? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  9. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    oh yeah...and to Kurt, why dont you go with the spector?? IMHO theyre a lot better quality (and sound) than warwick...
  10. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Hmmm you're the first guy I've seen that admits he plays an Epiphone and a Zoom box to boot!! Just having some fun with you.

Believe me I haven't made up my mind yet. I should have grabbed one at Musician's friend for $999 (Spector). They had the older NS5 CR with the dot inlays and the 34" neck. I think all the Spector 5's use the 35" scale now. I'd rather have the 34" scale.

Well, Warwick is supposed to have the growl I'm looking for. I can never tell how I'm really gonna like a bass until I play it through my own rig for a bit. The music store try out helps but it doesn't tell the whole store. I pretty much run EMG's in everything I have and it's why I went with the Spector for my current 4 string. Sill deciding. I like trying new instruments and thought I might give the Warwick a go.
  11. farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Ah, Embellisher, I would say you'll never get my corvette proline sound out of a thumb.

I think I get clearer and richer sound with my proline than the thumb bass. I think most people don't want to spend extra money on a bass which most people associate with lower end Warwick. I mean, if you by Warwick, you want a thumb, right? But I was blown away by how good the corvette proline sounds, so that's what I bought instead of a thumb.

And I'll say, as I have many times, don't judge the proline sound off of the standard sound. I think a lot of people would like these basses if they tried them.
  12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I bought my corvette pro-line years back when they were still all very good basses! And before everybody and there dog had one! I had it sent to me from over seas. And paid a fortune for it! So i was mad to see the the corvette pro-line in are local music store one day so cheap! But then i played it and relized that my 92 corvette was twice the bass as the new ones! Id try to find a older one with the adjust a nut on it!