Warwick Thumb 5 Bolt On - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by voionmaa, Jul 10, 2002.

1. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Wondering who uses the Warwick them 5 bolt on and how you like the guitars. I've seen a couple of threads discussing weight, but interested in how you like them and why you purchased one.

2. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    very good bass, go ahead, if you can affort it ....

:( :( :( which is not my case ....
  3. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i got a thumb bolt on 6 strings with the broad cast neck1

you will see man...it is the best bass ever IMO killer look and it sound preatty amazing!!!

the slap style... :oops: :cool: ;) you will fall in love!

finguer styler....jajajaja it has that warwick growl that make you heard betwen a noisy keyboard player, a big soloist guitarplayer , a a damn drumer!

also i do a lot of tapping with it! and it is simply the best...

but one thing...

never buy one with out given a try (online purchase) i have that mistake but i can´t and i repeat I CAN´T complain about my bass i m in love!

but some warwick basses are better quality basses than other i dont know why, when i got my bass in my hands i went to GC and give it a try...and i also try other warwicks of other models and the Thumb sound better than the neck trought model and all corvettes and all streamers you shoul give then a try...

other thing...mine have a little neck dive at first it is kind of anoyng but, with some time playing there is nothing wrong you get to some point that help you play IMO

so give them a try!
  4. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002

thanks for the info. I am considering purchasing a used one from a person on the web. Are you suggesting I go for the brand new one that I can try? There are a couple new ones at music stores near me (1 1/2 - 2 hrs). Would I be better off trying a couple of those and picking from them instead.

5. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    yea will be the best...but if you cant...well consider a lot of good pics!

and for the sound you have to take the risk
  6. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    thanks for the help. I have heard the bolt on sound better than the neck through. Do you have a feel for what would be a good price new and used? The new one's seem to be going for $1,400 - $1,500. Used ones for around $1,000.
  7. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    well IMO i will go fotr the extra 500 bucks because in that case the chances of problems with the bass are minimun...so you will have to deal directly with danna b goods...

her is where i buy it and it cost me 1500 (the 6 strings with the upgrade)
  8. maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    It's always a matter of personal taste, but it's quite hard to say that the Thumb bolton sounds better than its big bro Thumb necktru!!!
  9. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    just wanted to let you know I am purchasing a Thumb 5 today. Should have it in a few days. Thanks for all the help regarding the Warwick "Sound"

10. InDgroove

Jul 9, 2002
    I have a Thumb 5 bolt on. A great bass!!!
    The B string is just a clear as the other strings.
    The only bad thing about this bass is that it is neck heavy. Get a good leather strap, Brushed leather will grip your shirt and help prevent the neck dive.:)
  11. Congratulations!
    I did ther same year ago. One of the few good things in my life is my Thumb BO V. It is sad but true. Hope you wont be sorry.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Warwick Thumbs...ah, one of the basses that gives me reccuring GAS. I've wanted one on and off for about a year now. Ether BO or NT, makes no matter. My only beef is that Just-a-nut 2. It's little plastic edges dig into my fingers when I play one. I believe Warwick5S (Jason) was griping about the same thing on his SSII, and got a brass nut. I would too.

Mmmm...Thumb with brass nut, and maybe some Barts or SDs....I need some kleenex...
  13. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    <------ :D :D :D :D :D
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hush man! Let us drool and dream in peace! :mad:

15. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    plastic nut VERY bad
    brass nut very good

MEC pickups = good
    MEC preamp = :oops:

my only beef i had with my thumb was the neck dive and how far away 1st position was from your body because the strap horn was short. swapped it for an SS2 and couldn't be happier. i'd make sure you want a thumb vs. a streamer (LX perhaps.) but there are plenty of people who have NO problems with their thumbs and you might be one of them.