Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb 5 NT Gallery

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FishboneNut, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Hi, could you please post any pics you have of those wonderful basses?
    I'm realy diggin them: Once I got my hands on a newer one and I fell immiadetely in love, because it had such a thick and powerful sound, even through a small 15W amp, it was just unbelievable! But I nevertheless had one main gripe: Its neck-heavyness was realy awful!!:(
    But I have searched the net after a sollution and I've found this strapp.
    The idea looks promising, and it could realy solve the damn neck-heavyness. Did anybody test this strapp already?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I use the Comfort Strapp, makes a big difference. I haven't used the one you link to, but it looks very cool.

Here's my 1990 NT 5

[​IMG]

3. Thank you for the picture!
    I realy love the dot inlays on the older thumbs, and it seems to me, as if the upper horn goes until the 16th fret which is mostly the case in thumbs from the early 90's. In my eyes it looks better than the shorter upper horn from the newer ones and it balances better.:)
    But what about the neck: The newer Thumb I played had a neck which was like a baseball bat!!
    The necks of my ATK 4 and Tobias 5 Sig. were somewhat tiny compared to the Thumb. Are the necks of the older Thumb 5 NT's the same? Once i read in an German magazine about guitars and basses that all the old Warwicks had thicker necks? But I' ve often read in this forum that older ones had thinner necks, so what's right?
    :confused:

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, my warwick certainly has the thickest neck of all my basses. But I've had it so long I'm used to it by now. I measured this morning, and it's 1" thick at the 12th fret.

5. i, too, use the comfort strapp. i agree, it makes a world of difference.

6. At first I wanna thank you for your post. I'll come up with some pics too, but I have to make them smaller at first.

Does the comfort strapp solve the neck diving completely or is there still some diving?

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've never really had the neck diving problems, maybe the older ones do balance better as people say? Or maybe I've just always worn it in a way which minimised risk of that happening.

The Comfort Strapp is so good because it distributes the weight of the Warwick more evenly and therefore I don't get a sore back after wearing with my Thumb 5 for three hours.