1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Thumb 5 SN

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rhett, Jan 1, 2012.

1. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    Happy New Year Everyone!

Warwick Thumb 5 NT :

This Thumb is a player's bass that will snap nicely for someone, I am knocking $350 the average going rate for the lower horn ding and a few other imperfections noted below.

$1650! shipped CONUS.
    Includes Warwick gigbag.

Attached Files:

2. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    I will knock off $50 for a local, cash pickup.
    Can meet in ABQ, Santa Fe, or Taos.

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    What year is it??? (last two numbers on the back of the headstock- but I'm sure you knew that already)

4. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    it's a 2005,
    and sweeeet (just arrived today) - I really dig the smaller neck profile. This one doesn't seem as heavy as the few other Thumb 5's I've played before either - perhaps because that was a long time ago and they were probably bolt-ons.
    slight discoloration and nickage from being played regularly - a good wax job is in order - but still a steal at $1800 shipped. someone snatch this baby up before I change my mind and then hafta figure out how to pay for the bass I've already put a deposit on, yikes!
    I can ship it strung w/ brand new Black Beauties or w/out - your choice.
    the tuners have been replaced with Grovers.

5. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    I'd call the condition an 8/10 and don't wanna get attached (!) so I'm dropping the price to
    $1750 shipped!

6. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Fort Bliss Texas
    What is the fret board made of? Wenge or Ebony

7. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    I believe ebony but I will double check when I get home this evening. And go ahead and string up the Black Beauties. Time to do a serious A/B against the Aries and make sure which one is the keeper!

8. bubinga body, ovangkol/bubinga neck, tigerstripe ebony board.

pm inc

9. S/N- as in set neck? I didn't know that was an option for Thumbs.

10. it isn't, but i inferred neck-thru from the post and pictures.

11. Neck-through & set-neck are two different things- I probably wouldn't hear a difference, mind you. :)
    Anyway, 45 seconds of intense googling leads me to believe that Warwick Thumbs are available in bolt-on or neck-through, but not S/N(interestingly, typing in *Warwick Thumb S/N* took me to this thread :D).

12. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    aww crap - my bad. it most definitely is a NT, not a SN.
    have you ever been thinking one thing while typing another, before you know it you've hit send...

13. yep, i'm aware of the difference...what i was getting at is that based on the information in the thread, it was my determination that it was the neck-thru model over the bolt-on, etc.

;)

14. Oh, no- that's NEVER happened to me- I'd have to burn/hand in my spelling/grammar/punctuation fascist card. :D
    GLWS

15. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I had one of these about 6 years ago. I also had a 6 with the wide neck & spacing. Good luck with the sale.

16. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    someone should score this before I gig it Sunday and save me from falling in love!

17. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    Last night I finally had my first chance at an intense inspection and cleanup followed by a restringing and sound check: long story short, I am downgrading the current cosmetic condition to a 7.25/10 with the stipulation that a little proper cleanup will bring it up to a 8.25/10. Therefore, I am dropping the price to
    $1650 shipped

The bad:
    The Thumb has clearly been heavily played, as evidenced by the discoloration in the thumb/handrest area. I am certain a little proper buffing and perhaps oiling and/or waxing will clean it up right. Surely there is plenty of guidance on the proper way to do this here on TB, but I have neither the time or energy to give it the attention it needs at this point.
    Pics will be emailed from rsouth220 AT yahoo.com after a request to that email address.

The truss rod cover was clearly not so gently pried off a couple of times. Only noticeable closeup, but worth noting nonetheless.

The volume knob doesn't quite seat as well as the other knobs. It looks original, maybe just needs a reset, idk. Again, barely noticeable but worth noting.
    There are a few other minor bruises that haven't really broken the finish, but you must look pretty hard to find those.

The good: THUNDEROUS tone, perhaps the tightest and most articulate low B that I have ever played. Very slim neck for a Warwick 5!

I'm sure that everything that everyone loves and dislikes about these is written on these pages, so no further elaboration is needed on my part.

This is a player's bass, not a showpiece. I would love to hold tight to this one, but the clock is ticking on a deposit on another bass....dang.

18. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    Local pickup or any non- heavy fee payment method (hint: I can take a Bank of America direct deposit from any branch) price:
    $1600

19. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    countdown to feebay commences...

20. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    ttt