Warwick Thumb 5-string good for harmonics?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Hey guys. I played one at Guitar Center recently, and it was the worst at harmonics. The Rock Bass screamed the harmics at me while I couldn't get anything out of the Thumb. Was it just that one? I've played a few others and it wasn't that bad. Just wondering if I should just go with a Thumb BO (which I wouldn't mind going with at all), or keep pursuing a Thumb. Thanks a lot.
  2. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    It could have had dead strings. My Thumb was great for harmonics.
  3. that's what I was thinking, but the strings were new. *shrugs* Stupid guitar center.
  4. when i was shopping for my new bass i played a Thumb BO 5 and it had fine harmonics, must have been the strings or the setup.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    NO strings at Guitar Center are new. I think they pre-order them filled with pimply teenage boy sweat and grime.
  6. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i have a thru neck thumb bass made in 1990. if you can get hold of one get an older model. the wenge neck is far better then the ovankol that they use now, in my opinion, and the old brass just a nut is much better. if you do get a new bass get the nut replaced with the brass one. the new graphite nut is prone to sinking in the middle rendering it useless.
  7. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    My Thumb gets fine harmonics, but my Corvette Standard get way better harmonics, food for thought.