warwick thumb 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Llama's Rage, Jan 22, 2005.

1. I've never actually READ this anywhere but I've heard from like 3 friends that a thumb 4 is great but a 6 (especially the broad-neck one i want) will have insane neck-dive. I don't really care about the weight of the bass (which is apparently also an issue, according to my "sources") but if the neck dives I don't really see spending anything over like $300 for it heh.

So, what do you think? If I buy this will my left bicep become huge trying to hold the neck up or what?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Get a wide (3+) non-slip, Leather strap; Levy's make one, Comfort Strap makes one, so do many others. Position the bass in a respectable position (anywhere from upper chest to belly area) and you should have much less neck dive.

I have an old Kramer alumineck fretless that I was told by somebody that I "could never fix the dive", I did what I got just told you and the dive is now next non-existent.
  3. I had a wide Thumb 5. Serious neck dive. Weighed 11 lbs- that didn't bother me, but when I 'fixed' the balance problem (with a non-slip strap) it was still very uncomfortable, as most of the weight was on my left shoulder. Mind you, I'm a skinny wuss; this may not apply to your situation. But I really wanted to like that bass & was in some serious denial for awhile. I also had a Thumb 4- much better balance.
  4. I had a '90 neck-thru 6 thumb, and although it was killing me on the weight issue,(I'm a skinny old fart too), I never had a neck dive problem. I really wish I had this bass back. Killer tone.
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have a thumb NT4, and it is wicked light. No neck dive either.
  6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska

I had one of those older neck-through 6's too, and found the same thing--it weighed a ton, but the balance was fine.

7. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Run a bungee cord from the lower strap pin to your belt hoop. :eyebrow:
  8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I had an older Thumb NT5 and the dive wasn't bad, especially with a wide strap. The thing was crazy heavy, around 13 more more pounds. The thing that really killed me was the small body, the reach to the first fret was too far for me. I have long arms, but I'm pretty skinny. Too bad, really. That bass sounded great! Wish I could get that tone in a streamer body!
  9. i'm going to +1 the opinion of a nice 3" wide strap, it helps offset the weight of the bass too.
  10. great, thanks guys! time to order my bass :bassist: :bassist: