Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb as a Church bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 2, 2002.

1. Anybody here play a Thumb in a church setting? I know they have a really growly sound but I was curious how that would set in a Church mix.

A lot of the contemporary christian stuff I have been listening to lately has this great growly bass tone that I really like. I don't know if it is the bass or the amplification.....

2. I havent played in church latley but I use my N/T 6 string thumb in church, and my others gigs. My trusty 66 jazz is always there for back up though.

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey guy i use mine in a jazz setting! Not only does it have kinda a growl to it but it also has a very warm tone to it! Up to about 3 years ago i thought of the warwick as more as a jazz bass than a rock bass! I played warwicks for years long before they were the cool thing to have in heavy metal settings!
    I use my warwick corvette pro-line and my american made spector in a soft jazz setting! I think your fine and would be ver suprised how warm it sounds!

4. I just returned from Guitar Center and man that is one sweet bass! I played a 5 string bolt-on and really liked it. I think it will work great in church. The B string was tight and really clean sounding.
    Had a good slap sound as well.

I played it through an Ampeg B-50R with everything set flat. I had to crank the bass on the thumb to get it really nice and warm. Beautiful sound!

Can you still get the wenge necks? Also, what is the wide neck option like? Does it have normal 4 string spacing?

5. Warwicks are hot stuff.. i betcha the good ol' Lord wouldn't mind :)

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    He doesn't.

I use a Warwick Thumb BO fretless and a Stingray 5 in church with a saturating 220w valve amp.

If you like the bass and it makes pleasing sounds to you and you can afford it, then get it and play your heart out, if not get something else and play your heart out.

If you want to converse on a more spiritual level then PM me if not, fine, no probs

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Count, make sure you play it standing up with a strap. If you can handle the neck dive, it is a killer bass.

8. Thanks Jeff, I'll be sure to strap it on. I play sitting down 98% of the time so it shouldn't be a problem.

Is there any way to work around the neck dive (special kind of strap, moving the strap mounts, etc..)?

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Comfort Strapp

paste it (with the two p's) into http://www.google.com for loads of hits

[​IMG]

lets see if that works

oh yeah

10. well, if you want your own sound, and do not want to play too churchy, then buy it...

In many churches the Fender Jazz is used becauz of the " passive" sound.. you can lay the tones UNDER the music in stead of playing on top..

wich style do you play in church ?? Rock, Black Gospel, Pop ? can you name some songs that defines the style you play ? (I am a christian too, so I know a few)

I myself play the Warwick F.N.A. Jazzman in church...
    it's a heavy sound, but not too agressive ...
    nice warm bass-sound and offcourse the jazz-pickup !
    have you tried the F.N.A. already ?

11. I play my Dingwall in church. If you like the sound and can dial in some different tones that you can use, then it should work fine.

Geoff

12. Thanks CS, I'll look into that strap.

Right now I play a Carvin LB75 (2 J-style pups). It does a good job but it doesn't quite get that growly sound that I hear in so many christian recordings. I do get lost in the mix most of the time but thats not always a bad thing depending on what you are playing. A lot of people tell me they can't hear me even though the volumn is cranked.

We play a wide range of styles from rock to old school hymns. Some of the songs we do are:

Shout to the North
    I Will Rise Up
    Just As I Am
    O' the Blood of Jesus

Etc....

My biggest concern was the Thumb being too agressive. I found that soloing the forward pickup smoothed out the sound slightly but it still had that great snarl to it. I'm thinking with proper volumn and maybe a little tweaking of the EQ it will work great in the church setting.

I think it will be the next bass I buy. Hopefully soon!

13. this week we had a soul survivor week (do you know it ?) well, the bass-player there had a MM stingray 5 .. awesome ! (kind of delirious? style .. rock ..) ..

just try the thumb, and try the different sounds...
    ask questions like :
    is the sound good for the worship-part (just to play the bass, and no groves and tricks, but nice tones) ..

Do I like it (the most important question !)

14. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I use a gt-7 with all kinds of goodies for all kinds of tunes! Church music is the bomb!:p

15. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    especially on the B. The Thumb is the only Warwick I'd probably want after owning two. The neck dive is a factor. I had a LB75 and it was a little too tame. I've also used a Stingray. I only sold it when I couldn't set the Cirrus down. Now I do think the Cirrus is more honk than growl. So if you want growl, the Thumb may do that better.

16. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    I meant to reply to this thread earlier but have been too tied up.

As mentioned by others there is ZERO difference in tension due to more string length outside the speaking length of string.

However there is some merit to a reverse headstock. Extra string length behind the nut or saddle slackens the rate at which the tension ramps up when the string bends.

You'll notice this when you dig in, the pitch will not rise as much. (Plug into a tuner and pluck an open string softly at first then progressively harder and watch what happens).

There will also be a subtle improvement in clarity. This gets hard to explain. Picture a string as it vibrates back and forth, it's tension modulates up and down. Just like if you were to manually bend the string back and forth. This modulation in tension affects the 1st harmonic making it's pitch rise and fall with each cycle of the fundamental. (In tune when the fundamental vibration passes through zero, but otherwise sharp) The cycling 1st harmonic is modulating string tension as well (at twice the rate of the fundamental) so that the pitch of the 2nd harmonic rises and falls with the modulation of tension from the fundamental and 1st harmonic. The 3rd harmonic is modulated by the fundamental, 1st & 2nd harmonics...and so on. If that's not enough, the combined modulations of all the harmonics raise the average tension of the fundamental driving it sharp. Talk about a "Catch 22".

So in practical terms, the quicker the tension ramps up, the more out of tune and spread out the harmonic series gets. (Why are short scale basses so hard to intonate?) The slower the tension ramps up, the more in tune and tight the harmonics will be.

I'm not suggesting that adding more un-speaking string length will give the same benefits as increasing scale length, but it's better than nothing.

17. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Are you answering the right thread?

18. wrong thread dude... nothign about string length here.....

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A word of advice: If you do end up with a Thumb for church services, DON'T do what a friend of mine did to his for comic relief between songs at a local club - he rolled a condom on over the upper horn.

It would probably not go over well with the church crowd, and the hole made by the strap button would ruin it for use later.

:eek:

20. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    OK, not only did I come to the table almost a month late, but somehow managed to drop in on the wrong thread.

Somehow it seems funnier when someone else dorks up.