Warwick Thumb B.O. 4 String Opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nihblokk, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    Hey guys! I have the possibility of purchasing this bass, it's a German Warwick Thumb B.O. It has been modified with Aguilar DCB G3 Pickups, I think the Preamp is Stock. It doesn't come with the hardshell case or anything 'extra'. The price is around 900. But my question is: How confortable is it for playing sitting down? I never gig and only use my instruments for recording, so confort is a big deal. Also, how do the pickups sound if you've had any experience?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  2. That is a great price for that bass! I've seen them going easily for 1300-1600 recently. I've got a stock '99 thumb
    B.O., so I can't speak to how the pickups will sound vs the MECs?.
    I've never had a real issue playing it sitting down. There is some neck dive. But that can be remedied using a decent strap (suede/leather) that clings to you.
    The only issue I've ever found, and I bought it new in '99, is that the nut is sharp as hell and can scratch you if you play F on the E sting much. That is the only complaint I've got.
    Good luck if you buy it! Let us know.

3. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    Thanks for your feedback man.

4. That pickup placement is different from the standard Warwick placement and I’m wondering how that affects the sound? The price is attractive and Aguilars are high quality.

BOOG, WarwickE36 and Nihblokk like this.
  5. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I've had both the BO and NT models and loved them. In terms of comfort sitting down, I thought it was okay. It balanced adequately and I didn't have to strain myself to play it. The pickups would be my concern. Arguably, Thumbs get their signature tone from the pickup location. Your bass appears to have been modified to accept a whole different pickup size, which potentially throws off the "Thumb tone". You should play it first before buying, in my opinion.

AudioTaper, Mili, bumble yeti and 4 others like this.
  6. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    Yes, it was fully modified to take the soapbar pickups. The seller says it sounds better but, what would a seller say lol

dkelley and Bass Viking like this.
  7. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I don't know about better but it will be different than stock. I have a stock 98 that will go to my grave, I think it's amazing. I had a newer one like the one posted but with EMG's in the stock position. It was a really nice bass but I didn't NEED two Thumbs and the original pickups sounded way better to me.

That is a great deal for 900 as long as nothing is wrong with it. You'd likely be able to sell it and make money if you didn't like it.

weird_hermiston, dkelley and Nihblokk like this.
  8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    The body and horn shape/length of a Thumb make the neck feel longer than it is and the bass is susceptible to neck dive

Mili and Nihblokk like this.
  9. Katoosie

Katoosie Chocolate is the best Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    I own that german bo 4s bigger sister, thumb bo 6 with stock mec pickups and guts as well as Warwick strings.

IMG_20210619_180846.jpg

Its a great bass and it sounds powerful. Its heavy so a good strap is needed or you have to play sitting down which you plan on doing so the size shouldnt be an issue, neither should be neck dive on a 4 string model. The bass feels great and it required some oil maintenance due to the woods being used but otherwise...

I say go for that 4. Its a good price too

If you end up getting it, come over to the Warwick club. Girls and guys there are plenty nice :)

Hope that was helpful :p

BrentSimons, dkelley and Nihblokk like this.
  10. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I think they're very easy to play sitting down. It might take some adjustment getting used to where the first frets are, it was a little uncomfortable for me until I played the bass more and got used to it. At first it felt like my arm was reaching farther or it was at a weird angle, but I was used to Fenders and Ibanez basses before that.

dkelley and Nihblokk like this.
  11. Yeah, it sounds better so that's why he's selling it. :laugh:

Mili and dkelley like this.
  12. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    Allegedly there's nothing wrong with it lol

seedokebass likes this.
  13. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    Thanks for your Feedback, maybe I'll see you at the Warwick Club real soon.

WarwickE36 and Katoosie like this.
  14. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    I currently own a 35" scale Schecter Model T Sesion 5, should I expect the Warwick to be much "larger" in feel?

15. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    Exactly hahaha, but, on the seller's defense, he's kind of a GAS oriented person. I know him from a Facebook group we're in and he's constantly selling and buying basses. He currently owns a Warwick Vampyre SN, the Thumb, a Spector NS2a and a heavily modified Squier (P/MM Pickups, Jazz body, Jaguar Neck). He's selling them all to buy something else so... I don't know what to think.

16. I have a 5 string bolt on Thumb. There is a little bit of neck dive when sitting but it's nothing bad. A 4 string would probably be fine. You could also install Hipshot Ultralite tuners to lighten the headstock if necessary.

Nihblokk likes this.
  17. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    I have no experience with those aguiler pickups, but I'll say this: The thumb BO is a great bass with a very focused and distinct tone. Stock preamp is nice, has passive option. Sitting down is comfy enough. Standing up is a whole different story (I no longer own one due to reach issues).

Mili, Nihblokk and dkelley like this.
  18. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Its still a 34" scale bass, so you might not notice it since you play a 35" scale. It was noticeable to me because I had never played anything longer than 34".

Like @sotua said, the reach to the first few frets feels different because of the neck placement on the body. It can feel like you're reaching farther for the first frets vs other basses.

Nihblokk and dkelley like this.
  19. Amazing bass, it'll prob sound a little less warwicky and little more "normal" with those pickups, but it's still a warwick and not all of the tone is a result of mec pickups... just part of the tone. There are many thumb basses with that pickup placement (as opposed to the other thumb pickup placement you see often with two narrower pickups closer together, possibly angled, closer to the bridge)... it likely had stock EMG soap bars in those positions before... I don't think the body was routed significantly to make the change, if at all, but maybe a smidge if the pickups aren't exact drop ins. But I doubt it had the narrower pickups before this. It may have had mecs.... you should ask him where the original pickups are, because if you can get them as part of the deal it would be interesting.

If not though, I'd totally still go for it. Ok, well, I actually wouldn't because my warwick corvette is a physical design that I like better and still is a warwick and sounds like warwick built a jazz bass, pretty much, which is awesome for me, and I like my corvette's light ash body. But.... I'd still love a thumb, and the tone of that wood, that thumb design, and so forth, will make it a unique and excellent instrument.

That price truly is excellent.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  20. I wish I could find a corvette ash active 4 for that price!! I’d go for it.

BrentSimons and Nihblokk like this.