warwick thumb....b-o or n/t

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldirtybassist, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Im going to mars next weekend with lots of cash in my pocket.....should i buy a 5 string thumb bolt-on, or shell out the extra 300 for the neck thru. is there a big dif. with the wood?
  2. Jabberwocky

Jan 7, 2002
    He you guys and girls, can anybody help me out with my question?

I really don't know which to choose ....
  3. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    since your going to be at Mars..why don't you play both of them and decide on your own? I'm really not a fan of either, but I like the N/t more.
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    olddirtybassist and Jabberwocky--

You both had threads going with the exact same subject, so they are now merged into one thread.
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    If you don't know the difference between a neck through and a bolt-on, why would you spend $300 more for one over the other? If you have to be told what the difference is does it justify the additional cost?

Depending on what you play, how you play, and your personal preference the BO may suffice fine. Spending $300 additional doesn't make sense if you don't have any idea why you're spending it.
  6. I think that's why he's posting here.. to get our opinions on the subject, not to listen to a lecture on thrifty spending :p
  7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    oDB, SINCE NO ONE ELSE SEEMS TO BE HELPING OUT i'LL GIVE IT A TRY. i'D GO FOR THE n/t simply for the reason that I own a n/t 5'er and try the bolt-on's in warwicks stable and found them just not as equal in tone(just my opinion):p . The n/t tends to have more sustain and also is available with a 3-band, which to me is worth the $300 alone. I think there both great basses but for me my n/t was the only way to go.:)
  8. Bolt on. I dont really like the thru neck version. THe only through i would buy (again) is an SSII.

9. I recently purchased the Guitar Center anniversary model. Its a bolt on model w/ Bubinga top and Ovangkol back and neck. Its a wonderful bass. As a matter of fact, if i were not so obese, Id sleep with the frickin thing. My vote is bolt on, I'd personally save the money and go buy taco bell and cheap malt liquor!!!! :D :D
  10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001

I agree though. Get the bolt on and use the $300 to put toward your rig. If there were an appreciable difference that I heard or felt, then I would have justification in spending more. I like the BO and it has punch with sustain to spare.
  11. I don't trust neck throughs for one reason. WHat if the neck becomes defenctive, or you dont like the woods in the neck. It is *much* easier to change necks on a bolt on then with a neck through.
  12. thanks guys. i think im gonna get the bolt-on, but im gonna try em both out first. anyone hear wanna buy some malt liquer for me (im 15):D