Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb... balancer?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Oct 14, 2002.

1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    far from pulchritudinous, that's for sure...
    [​IMG]

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey, at least he's trying to do something about the Thumb balance problem that Warwick chooses to ignore. It looks like it can be removed without causing any damage to the bass as well, but the pics aren't too clear.

3. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, you've got a point. I can't imagine why Warwick would continue to make such an unbalanced bass. They tout the body and being "ergonomic" and such, but the damn basses point to the floor when you wear 'em. The four string might not be that bad, but I once had a broad neck 6 string Thumb bass... talk about neck dive!

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That looks dumb. I think I would rather put up with the neck dive.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    If it bugs you experiment with weights at the blunt end to shift the centre of gravity. Hmmm I might even try this.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Hope you have a strong shoulder! They're pretty heavy, before you even start thinking of adding counterweights.

I would imagine the Fortress would balance well, with that long horn. Do they? And does anyone know why they were discontinued?

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You might have a point but...

Before I owned the Warwick I had a Status 3000. It had a 3 piece walnut body and a headless carbon fibre neck. I could play that bass for mammoth sessions without any shoulder ache.

I then bought a Stingray 5 and noticed some discomfort (partially cured by a comfort strapp).I naturally assumed that the EB was heavier until I used both basses on a gig with only one stand.

The Status was significantly heavier.

A lot of it is in the balance. You still could be right in saying that a counterbalance could cause problems but not neccesarily so.

9. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    aren't there extendable straplocks for sale?

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    jeez...what kinda doo doo is that? :p

11. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Sorry if this is taking it a little off topic (but I didn't start the meccano talk).

I just can't get over the picture of that kid on the box lid, ready to have a play with his meccano dressed up in his shirt and tie ....hahahaha....he must desperately want to become a mechanical engineer...

(OK I realise that it's an old photo).

Back to topic, I love the feel of the thumb bass and the only thing that's stopping me buy one is the reputation for neckdive. I don't think that I could live with that or with the angle iron strut either...suppose I'd better get a Fender jazz instead.

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ....angle iron strut....good one ;)

that's just a kneeslapper.......new, kids! erector set for warwick! sheesh...