Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb Bass: Neck-Through or Bolt-On?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigjames, Aug 23, 2005.

1. bigjames

bigjames Player of Smooth Lines

Jan 25, 2005
    Burnaby, Canada
    I am hoping for some experienced advice on this question. I have wanted a Warwick Thumb Bass for 10 years. Saved some money, got married, saved some money, had kids, etc... Now I am getting to the point where I can make this investment; I want a 5 string, fretted model. What I am unsure of is whether to get the neck-through or the bolt-on. What is the difference (besides price) between these models? I know what neck-through means, but is it an "upgrade" or is it just another feature. I played the bolt-on model yesterday at a local shop and it was awesome...good growl, nice tone, sweet highs, big lows, etc. The diff in price is $1,000 CDN...

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    First off.. Buy used. Especailly with warwicks.

I own a thumb NT and presonally love it. I've played bolt on models as well, and both are really great. The neck feel is different, the woods are different, and the construction in general is different. Try finding an NT and play that one. A lot of people like BO's and a lot of people like the NT's. It's your choice.

3. bigjames

Jan 25, 2005
    Burnaby, Canada
    Why buy used? Is it just to get a better price?

4. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Bolt on. You won't regret it.

5. bigjames

Jan 25, 2005
    Burnaby, Canada
    You are a bolt-on fan then? I am not going to disagree....I loved the way it sounds and plays!

What about scale length? 34" or 35"?

6. Standard is 34" scale, You can custom order 35" scale if you want(only available on 5-6 strings). But the B on the BO 5 I playes at GC wasnt floppy at all.

7. bigjames

Jan 25, 2005
    Burnaby, Canada
  8. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    One of the stupidest things I have done was sell my Thumb bolt-on. Great bass. I had Barts put in and it was a lowend monster. Wicked bass....play both and decide for yourself. That ax at BassNW looks good BTW. Happy hunting. :bassist:

9. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Tell me about it Vacman, I sold my NT Thumb 4 like a week ago and I miss it to death! I've played both NT and BO, and the NT just has better tone to me. But like most have said, you'd have to play one and see if it's for you or not. I've only played 4s though, cause I was worried about missing the "sweet spot" with the 5's pickup placement. For those of you who have played 4 and 5 string NTs, is there much tone difference playing farther back on the 5?