Warwick Thumb Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigjames, Jan 25, 2005.

1. bigjames

bigjames Player of Smooth Lines

Jan 25, 2005
    Burnaby, Canada
    Hey everyone, I am new to the board, looks pretty cool. Anyway, I am considering pickup up a 5-string Warwick Thumb Bass (neck-thru), anyone have any comments on this guitar? I have played it and love it...the look is awesome as well, any owners with more insight?

2. You can't go wrong with a Thumb. If the price is right, and it sits well in your hands, then go for it!
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Amen... IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT. Never buy a new thumb, waste of money. I got my thumb NT 4 with ebony fretboard for 1400 used at GC. No regrets.
  4. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    ive got the bolt on version. fantastic bass. very unique.
  5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Thumbs rock more the your socks! :)

6. tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    I had one but sold it because of weight and body issues. It just felt uncomfortable to me. Great sounding and playing bass thought, it was a tough call.
  7. bigjames

bigjames Player of Smooth Lines

Jan 25, 2005
    Burnaby, Canada
    I am totally gonna pick it up then...now...where to find the money??? LOL.
  8. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeah the thumb bass is brilliant, i have the bolt on version, and looking for a neck through one soon when the money comes around, they are real nice, the growl and bottom end you can get is incredible, although you can get basically any tone through the eq.

9. maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Buy it used.
    The older, the better.
  10. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i agree... i've lusted after one since high school, when i first started playing (remember the old black and white ads in bass player?), but they ARE heavy- get a comfortable strap. :bassist:
  11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Get a comfy strap and get used to neck dive (yet it seems well balanced when sitting). Without a doubt a truly excellent bass. Well worth the trouble of getting used to.

(Owner of Thumb Bolt-On 4)
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you can get an older one (98 or before), used, that would be great.
  13. RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I'm about to get a brand new Thumb 4 Neck-Thru. Awesome bass!
  14. bubingaboy

Oct 18, 2004
    Rhode Island

I've owned a 4 string and a 6 string neck thru Thumb.

The 4 I bought brand new with the LED's from SIMMS installed. The 6 I bought used.

The 6 had the best action I've played on a six string. However, neck dive was an issue and the bass weighed a TON. It was a relief to strap on the 4.

As for the 4, I found it limiting for slap. I felt like I was fighting it (the string tension seemed much tighter than what I was used to. Maybe a lighter string gauge would help...). My efficiencies suffered with the 4.

Sad I sold the 6 (even though the weight and the neck dive), glad to unload the 4 (for exactly what I paid for it... cash...). Never tried a Thumb 5 though.
  15. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    that was the best advice ever! i got my 97 neck thru thumb 4 from GC for 1299 which i haggled them to $1000 which i still havent paid because i got it with the dont pay for a year plan. neck dive is somewhat of an issue but not too much for the 4 bangers. 5 and 6ers drop like there is a 20 pound weight on the headstock. still great basses! the older ones with the bubinga/wenge necks are (IMO) better than the ovangkol necks. i actually just saw a picture of hans peter wilfer (owner of warwick) with a corvette jazzman between two chairs and he was standing on the neck! i dont have the balls to try that on my thumb but im sure i could.
  16. matrixbassman32

Jan 29, 2005
    Iplay a warwick 6-string thumb bass and its the best 6 i have ever played
  17. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah go older! I wouldnt trade my 94 corvette pro-line for a new thumb! But i wouldnt buy a new corvette pro-line. Dont know what it is just a MAJOR diff!
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I will join the others who warned you about the neck dive. And I will add this. If you are planning on performing live with this bass, make sure you play it, standing up, with a strap for at least 2 hours before buying it.
  19. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    FYI-from personal experience with my own NT fretted 5 bass:

My 2002 fretted 5 has the Ovangkol/Bubinga Neck w/Wenge Fingerboard that developed a nasty dip/twist in the neck, right before blending into the body. It took a lot of heating, bending, fret dressing and truss rod futzing to get it back to a decent condition. I spoke with Warwick and a tech there actually admitted that they were getting in some other basses with the same issues. He did not give specific numbers. My bass was out of warrantee so he recommended a local shop. His opinion, to paraphrase, which I totally agree with:
    If you wind up getting a newer Thumb, get an ebony fingerboard. There are/have been some QA issues with the newer Ovangkol/Bubinga Neck/Wenge Fingerboard necks and that they tend to be unstable. The harder ebony fingerboard helps to stablize the neck, making it less prone to twisting and dipping.
    I also have a NT fretless that I ordered new in 2001 with an ebony FB-it has been rock solid.
  20. I have a Ltd Bolt on, and it rocks.