Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh_15, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Hey everyone.
    Im going to get my parents to get me a Warwick Thumb bass next year and its about £1300. Is it worth it? I want something for lots of slapping and i want a 5 string with good tone and depth. Would you say i should go for the Warwick? Its what ive always wanted;) :D

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Warwick Thumb is a high quality bass, especially the neck through model.

It does have one flaw. It is very unbalanced and neck heavy.

Before you buy it, I advise you to play it standing up, with a strap and make sure that this isn't a problem for you.

It is for me. If it weren't so unbalanced, I would probably own one. But after playing one standing up with a strap for a few minutes, my wrist, forearm and should start to cramp really badly.

3. And my parents thought my peavey Fury (£300) was expensive!! Looks a damn fine bass your getting yourself. It'll be a new amp after that I guess. Ahh GAS.

I hate you ;)

4. I owned a Thumb NT for about 2 years, and after about a year I got very tired of it. It's extremely neck heavy, and hard to play. The electronics I felt were also limited, with the mid-range control being almost useless tonally. I'd recommend a different bass, but since you are in the UK I don't know of any off hand.

5. I gotta agree with embellisher on this one. The Thumb is an extremely good bass with just one flaw... neck dive.

This bass sounds great, plays great, and looks great. To bad you gotta hold it to play it. :(

6. ah damn warwick has been my dream bass for a long time now eveonyes sayin they suck oh well its good to know that b4 i had them make a lefty modle :mad:

7. I dont mind neck heavy basses, im used to weighty guitars, ill get used to it. Im sure its beutiful design and brilliant tone make up for its neck-heaviness :):)

8. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    no wya, your parenst are buying you one?!

Out of interest, how old are you?

Yeah its a good bass, i very recently purchased one, b.O 4 string, 2nd hand.

The tone and playability are great, but the neck-dive is apparnt, and pretty discouraging at first:( But you soon get used to it.

Also, it looks cool if tahst what your after:rolleyes:

9. Of course my parents are buying me one, im 15! But i want a good bass cause I love playing and im getting pretty good:cool: :)

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    also, bear in mind that the n/t model has 16.5mm string spacing at the bridge, which is sort of narrow, in my opinion. the bolt neck thumb is available with a broad neck option which will give you a spacing of 20mm at the bridge. 16.5mm is going to make you clean up your technique a lot. i'm on my 4th thumb bass, and i dig them a lot. i've owned two bolt neck 5's, an n/t 4 and now i have a n/t 6. great basses.

11. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    oh god:rolleyes:

Youve know idea how many times ive heard that form people unde rthe age of 17, especially the last part :rolleyes:
    Sorry to be sceptical, but a 100% rate of finding otehrwise are pretty secure odds.

12. :mad: dont be a prat! I love bass! I constantly play mudvayne stuff i love ryan's playing. I also play stu hamm stuff when i want to impress friends :D . Yeah im too big headed:cool:

13. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    see post above, only dont read the last sentance, as my beliefes are confirmed:rolleyes:

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    now...ryan martinie isn't the reason you're getting a thumb 5 is it? these basses are really temperamental, and they're not for everyone. i would recommend trying several out before you buy one.

15. No, not just because of ryan, but you know! :p Ive always wanted a warwick, and the thumb sounds great for the type of thing i like, i already use a big bulky 5 stringer.

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you know...i wanted a warwick for like 10 years before i got one...hee hee

17. i couldnt wait that long! I was going to get an Ibanez edc705 but then i thought i would probably get bored of that too, so im going all the way:)

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm not surprised you've "always" wanted one. Warwicks are the new hype for bassists under 18; I imagine mostly due to the fact that the bassists from Mudvayne, Slipknot, 311, and Incubus all play them. I also can name at least three other TalkBass members under 16 whose parents have purchased Thumbs for them. Trust me, don't let your want of something overweigh the practicality of it. Find one and play it, standing up, for a half an hour before you consider purchasing it.

19. I would also add, put it back, come back a couple of days later and do the above again. Then repeat my last step.

20. i have always wanted a warwick i am 16 iv played a few of um in like sam ash and guitar center and what not but never standing up i dont just want one because other morons in famouse bands have them i just want a good 5 string when iv done all i can with my 4 so there!