Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb Bleached Blonde LTD 2003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ConeyIslandJoe, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Just checked the Warwick site and came across the Thumb Bleached Blonde LTD 2003. Looks real nice!!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Very nice indeed!

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    A woo woo, look's REAL nice Joe

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My biggest beef with Warwicks has been the woods used.

I couldnt stand the tone of the basses only because of all that bubinga and ovankol, but ash and maple are very yummy. Not to mention I love the feel of their necks.

How much are these things going for?

Im down to get one assuming they are in my budget.

Peace
    Nick

5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    1 word!.. SEXY!..

that is all...

Alex

6. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I'd love to try one but I doubt Ill ever see one at my local shop.

7. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Hmm...I bet the neck dive is quite resolved with those wood choices. I like it much more than the original, but the original's a classic.

I just might have to try one out.

8. I know that it (probably) isn't, but it looks like a low quality copy of a thumb bass. I don't like it at all. The original Thumb looks great though.

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I bet they are lighter. Anyone check the specs?
    I like the swirly bubinga on the Thumb, but I guess these went over well at NAMM 2002.

I like em.

10. Hi

I've got a bit more info on this bass 'cos hopefully I'm going to be having myself one!

First of all, I've been told by the Warwick importers in the UK that the picture on the website is incorrect, the hardware is black not silver, I've seen a maple thumb with black hardware and it looked cool, the silver hardware in the picture looked a bit s##t to me.

The inlays in the neck are of a sunset in mother of pearl, this is not too clear on the photo

Of the 100 being made, 20 (or 25) are allocated to the UK, so work out from that what the distribution is likely to be in your area and get into them distributors if you want one.

I'm sure they said it will be supplied in the same sort of flight case the stage 1's come in.

You can usualy get some big discounts on Warwicks but Warwick are insisitng that this bass gets sold for the full RRP, my local shop tried to work a good price but the main shop in London said NO! give him a pile of strings instead.

Should go nice with my Streamer Jazzman 4 and Bill Dickinson 7

Tony

11. posted by ZuluFunk
    I bet they are lighter. Anyone check the specs?
    I like the swirly bubinga on the Thumb, but I guess these went over well at NAMM 2002.

I like em.

I agree about the swirly bubinga. Best looking Warwick I have ever seen.

Bubinga is quite heavy, and I believe Ovankol(sp) is also, also some people disagree with me on that one. Ash is extremely light, and figured maple is also, so that oughta be much lighter.

Love to try one, except the necks are usually a little big for me.

12. It looks bright.

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Who cares for stupid blonde ash and maple, when you can have nice dark bubinga and ovangol.. Mmm, African wood.. :cool:

Anyways, Warwick has always been pretty moderate with their special model prices, for example the Jack Bruce Limited Thumb sells pretty much for the same price as the normal one.

A standard neck-thru Thumb sells around $2500, I think - I might be few hundred off though.

14. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I saw a site that had them selling for 2000$.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its not the look of the woods, its the tone.

Makes me feel like barfing....:spit:

Peace
    Nick

16. Hi

Out of curiosity, I looked at the pricing in the UK for upgrading a standard bolt on thum to the specs of this bass.

In the UK we normally get around 20% off the RRP, but as I said in an earlier post, the UK distributor are insisting that all these are sold at full RRP!

Thumb bolt on - £1199

Alternate body wood (swamp ash + 1" flamed maple AAA) - £455

Flamed maple bolt on neck - £145

Maple fingerboard - £95

I think that covers all the options, ther's no price for the inlays as these are specific for to that bass.

RRP on the Bleached Blonde is £1550, I'm not sure if you just add the prices of the options up or if Warwick kind of work a deal, but work it out for yourselves!

As for the tone, I've owned two Warwick thumbs (and about 10 Warwicks all in!) and I do like them, I'm currently playing a Streamer Jazzman, I find I can get more out of this bass! (and a Conklin Bill dickens 7) the construction of this bass appeals to me, playing mostly funk! So I'll probably give one a go.

Tony