1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Thumb BO 5 2003 or Warwick Thumb BO German made Pro Series 2018 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mroz, Nov 11, 2020.

1. mroz

mroz

Apr 27, 2017
    Good day ladies and gentlemen,

I am planning to buy Warwick Thumb bass. I have a two choices. First one is a second hand Warwick Thumb BO 5 2003. Second one is a brand new Warwick Thumb BO 5 German made Pro Series. Both are very similar for price. Thumb BO 2003 is Just a little bit expensive.

Please suggest me, which one is better ? And why ?

2. A 2003 Thumb 5BO usually goes for around $1200-$1400. I believe this era had Ovangkol bodies and necks (with wenge fretboard), as opposed to the more known (and sought after) Bubinga body and Wenge neck.
    There is a 2006 model on Reverb for $1900
    Warwick Thumb BO 5-String Ovankol Natural Oil | Tom's Gear Outlet | Reverb

a new 2020 model goes for around $2500-$3200. So if someone is selling a 2003 model for that price, they’re smoking crack.

Which woods are on each of your choices?
    Which is better? That answer is totally subjective...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  3. McCall89

McCall89 Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    I'd go with the pro series. I've owned thumb basses made in 1990, 1994, 2001, and 2016; the 2016 bass is the best of the lot by far. The 2001 bass was the only one I owned that had an ovangkol neck and body and I honestly loved it. Super growly tone that one had.

Honestly, you probably can't go wrong with either, if you can play them both choose the one you like better. I truly believe Warwick is making the best basses they've ever made right now, so that's why for me, sight unseen, I'd go with the pro series.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021