Warwick Thumb BO 6 or Tobias Killer B 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Help me out people.Looking at buying either of these basses without trying first.Cant decide between the two.What are your opinions taking into balace,weight,tone,resale value,looks,neck heaviness,neck dimensions and overall comfort of instrument.Thanks.
  2. I love Warwicks, but the dozen or so I've had were nearly all quite neck heavy,as well as just plain heavy- especially Thumb BO's. The exceptions (to neck heaviness, but still heavy) were Corvettes- big ol' upper horn. I know nothing about Tobias basses, except they look cool.
  3. I never really got on with Warwicks... don't particularly like the necks, and they just sound wrong to me... but that's purely my opinion and MANY others will disagree.
  4. Thanx guys - helped me big time but also forgot to originally post I was also looking at a Peavey TL6.They seem to get good reviews even tho most peavey stuff in my opinion is ****e.
  5. Some of the Peavey stuff is very underrated - the Cirrus basses for example are great basses for the money.
  6. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I just got a used Warwick Thumb BO 6. Definitely a very heavy bass, and though I think Corvettes, Streamers, and Fortresses are well-balanced, it's true that all Thumbs are horribly neck heavy. Even so, there's no substitute for the sound of a Warwick Thumb. They have a tone completely different from anything else, including other Warwicks. In my opinion, they don't have the most versatile sound, but they certainly cut through in the mix. Some say they don't like the slap tone (mid-rangey) but I absolutely love it.

It just depends on what you're looking for. I got my BO 6 for $995 used on eBay. It's a 1998 with a wenge neck (this is essential IMO), brass nut, and SD Basslines pickups.

I recommend against the Tobias, unless you're going to get an older one. The newer ones seem to have a lot of problems with the electronics and more specifically the output jack.

I highly recommend a Peavey Cirrus. In my local music store, they have a 5-string Cirrus and a 5-string Tobias Basic. The Tobias is over $3000 and the Cirrus is around $1400 and the Cirrus sounds every bit as good. Neck-thru construction, great electronics. Solid B. If you're going for a 6 and don't want the weight and neck-dive, go with a Cirrus.
  7. PhunkyElephant

Oct 9, 2004
  8. JC Burn.

I would look at not buying either sight unseen for the following reasons.

-a lot of people claim issues with neck dive.. this would be more apparent with the 6'er
    -neck size, thumbs have a larger neck radius compared to most other basses on the market,

-do a search of the name tobias on this forum and you'll find that most tobias' made post gibson buyout have the worst quality control and you would be in for a huge dissapointment.

My advise? Buy local, have a look at Belman basses.

hand made guitars straight out of victoria, you could get a quality 6 string made out of the same woods as a warwick/tobias and pocket the cash that you'd be saving due to the importing/tax/overhead charges.

Tino is a great guy to talk to.. get in touch with him and he'd be happy to help you out, im currently saving for my own belman.. !!